Live plants vs. Fake plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vanimal

Aquarium Advice Addict
Are there any advantages to having live plants in your fish tank? Right now I have fake plants but if live plants are better I will switch. I have a 45 gallon with sand and my fish are a pleco, catfish, and rainbow shark. All advice is appreciated. Thanks!

Live plants will reduce nitrates. Also, they are fun to mess with but a lot more work ... IMO !

Several advantages to live plants. But you have to invest the time and money for adequate lighting, fertilizers, and CO2 if needed. Also regular trimmings might be needed.

Well I have my tank by a window so would that be ok? And how much would fertilizer and co2 cost and how often would I use them?

Moving the tank away from windows would be advised if possible. This will help with an almost certain battle with algae. I am new to plants and am finding them to be almost as challenging / expensive as fish.

Ive had my tank setup for about a month and a half and haven't gotten any algae. Even though I live in Florida it won't grow any. Ive been putting algae in from my brothers tank but it still won't grow. And you might be thinking why would you want algae?! But I want to make sure my pleco gets enough food he is awesome!

I don't know about putting algae in a tank, but Plecostamus love algae wafers. I didn't have any algae for a while either. Usually it comes once your tank cycles and nitrates arrive. As far as plants go, I suggest anubius. There are many good options however.

Yeah I feed him those and occasionally cucumber! :) He loves it

A lot of people suggest ordering plants from members on this site. I got some nice snail free anubius from petco. I hear java ferns and moss are easy additions as well.

Keep it low light and it will simplify things. Start off with java ferns, anubias, mosses. Other basic low light plants that are readily available are wisteria, bacopa, anacharis, hornwort, ludwigia repens, among several others.

Hornwort is super easy and supposedly sucks nitrate like crazy. Also, it will float if u like.

Yeah in my old tank I had alot of java moss and I never fertilized it or had any special lights for it!

In a south facing window I don't think sunlight would be a problem. South facing windows would have it the worst. The idea of wanting algae in your tank sound very interesting. It makes me want to get a 55 gallon, stock it with bristlenose plecos and true Siamese algae eaters, put it in a south facing window and watch what happens. For your tank I'd keep it low light, a lot of people want show quality tanks but that requires a lot of nutrients and co2 injection. My first true planted tank(a 20 gallon) had java fern, amazon sword, anacharis, and aponegetons all with just two 25 watt cfls in the stock fixture. No ferts, no co2 and the best looking java ferns to date. Keep it simple. Good luck.

I just bought a moss ball from petsmart and some inexpensive grass that I'm going to try! If I keep them alive ill do an update in a few weeks! Thanks for your help everyone!

If I end up getting snails in there will my pleco and eclipse catfish eat them?

vanimal said:
I just bought a moss ball from petsmart and some inexpensive grass that I'm going to try! If I keep them alive ill do an update in a few weeks! Thanks for your help everyone!

Grass ?? If it's Mondo Grass return it it's not fully aquatic and will rot.
Petsmart carries Java Ferns in a tube called Tropica Ferns. Those would work better.

Snails are no problem, but u can get snail free plants. Some people are surprised to find them after adding plants.

Back
Top Bottom