Looking for hardscape feedback

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Markstanfill

Aquarium Advice Activist
This is my 56g planted column. I have a lot of depth to play with but have not found anything for hardscape that I really like. The whole driftwood thing is kind of over done imo and im looking for another idea. This is what I have so far. Ive got my larger plants grouped in the corner and just trashed my cabombas for some rotala indie that im waiting to come up to cover my equipment. Then Ive got my java fern nestled in between my red ludwigia, wisterias, and the cabombas ive got left in the front along with a plant I got from a friend and havent found a good id for it yet. The microswords have finally acclimated and are sending runners out well, and I should have a nice carpet in a few months I hope. All I really lack imo is something hard. Ive got some wood in the tank, like the platform for the java fern, and some moss growing on a piece that you cant hardly see, more for algae propogation for my shrimp and otos than anything else. Also, I am going to get another bag of eco complete so the substrate is more uniform, allthough when the swords grow out it may be un nessecary. Anyway heres the pic ill stop droning on.
24256-albums713-picture5169.jpg

Last edited:
Mark,
I have seen some really neat things done with some different sizes of substrate. You could add a path of some very course river stone, something like that to break the substrate up. It might look cool wrapped around the front of the large stand of plants you have on the left. Maybe some small rocks on the left could fill it out too.

I think the best looking aquascapes maintain a very triangular composition. I would move your largest plants to the right, and look at adding a bit of low hardscape to the left that will blend nicely with your microswords.

Anyway, my 2 cents, and I am by no means an expert. I am currently trying to setup a new tank myself and can never decide on exactly how to lay it out. Plants are looking healthy. Best of luck!

Thanks for the reply, Im gonna wait for the plants in the back to grow up past the equipment, and Ive just not been trimming since there isnt much of a reason to maintain a 'look' at the moment since im waiting on background growth. But thanks for the suggestion, I think some stones might look really nice.

I think in your tank it would look awesome if you could create a background scene with some chicken wire or any kind of fencing/wire. You could use it to create a solid moss wall or maybe a slope or maybe in combination with a large stone or rock to create a small dark cave amongst the green for your fish. Also i believe creating a scene amongst a beautiful vivid colorful plant can also be just as bold of a statement as the overdone driftwood.

if you dont want wood how about rock? the way you have it there already is a little pathway type of thing.... i see a large rock in back with some moss on top or leave it blank. you could do another rock in front so its like a double cliff river leading out.

Back
Top Bottom