Looking for information on Lake Malawi plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shawmutt

Aquarium Advice Addict
All I have been able to find are Vallisneria aethiopiza and malawispongia echinoides. Anyone know anything about these species, especially the latter? Anyone know of any other plants from this region?

I am not very good with plants, and i can't find your two variaties, but here are some rebust plant that won't mind the harder water. You must also remember that malawi cichlids will try and eat any plant that you put in the Tank.
if you choose plants or grasses with thicker leaves and stems they should grow faster than they are being eaten.

Bocopa Monnieri
Hygrophila Corymbosa
Acorus Gramineus
Crypocoryne Ciliata var. Latifolia
Sagittaria Lancifolia
Sagittaria Subulata var. gracillima
Vallisneria Americana
Anubius Barteri var. barteri
Lagenandra Lancifolia
Echinodorus Angustifolius

The one thing i would say is that this list of plants are not from that region they are just a group of plant that will tolarate the harder waters. It is like fish you will succeed or fail. plant are also like fish where some will learn to adapt to there inviroment. This is not the correct plants to use, just some i have tried. And i had a far bit of success with them.

Back
Top Bottom