Looking for light fixture- completely clueless.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gabysapha

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Looking for a light fixture for my 29g. It has a standard hood/light, which is enough to grow what I need it to grow: low light plants.

Will need to transfer the hood to another 29g tank.

Looking for an option with good bang for buck. Would that be another standard hood/light? Or a new fixture with a different watt bulb? I'm not interested in high light, low-medium is great.

Thanks

Hi everyone, I'm still poking around trying to figure out what the most cost-effective lighting I can get for this tank. I realize 29g tanks are tall and difficult to light. And with all the bulbs available and lighting fixtures... I have no idea where to start!

what kind of lights were you looking at? t-5 high output would work just fine for your tank. if you have a dual t5 bulb fixture i think you would be able to grow low-medium light plants.

Perhaps I meant what kinds of BULBS.
I would like to keep the current fixture, one of those standard strip light things that come with basic aquarium kits.
What is the difference between all the bulbs out there? I have no idea.

If you get an aquarium hood, either they'll come with flourescents that may do the trick or you can replace them with mini compact spiral flourescent bulbs like you find at walmart or home depot or something. If you go with a top plus strip lights, you can get shop lights from somewhere like Home Depot--that's what I did for mostly low light plants, but my medium light plant is growing much faster than I figured on a couple of 34 watt T8s with a good reflector.

For a standard single tube, look for a bulb that mentions Plants. Check the Kelvin rating. I try for around 6500K

You can get them cheaper at hardware stores. Replace your bulb at least once a year.

Or if you have an incandescent fixture as was already mentioned you can use screw in CFLs.

Thanks everyone. I think I'll take a trip down to lowes to find a bulb. So is it T-8 bulbs that come with standard aquarium hood lights? Wait.... What does T-8 stand for anyway? ;)

I have a 29g with a standard hood, and I kept the cheap light that came with it. I think it's 17 watts. It grows everything I need it to. Java ferns, anubias, dwarf sag, vals.... But the bulb has not been replaced in years! It will get a new bulb for the new year, and I'd love to give the light any boost I can give it while Im at it.

Does the color of the light matter? I've heard of blue light, daylight, white...

gabysapha said:
Thanks everyone. I think I'll take a trip down to lowes to find a bulb. So is it T-8 bulbs that come with standard aquarium hood lights? Wait.... What does T-8 stand for anyway? ;)

I have a 29g with a standard hood, and I kept the cheap light that came with it. I think it's 17 watts. It grows everything I need it to. Java ferns, anubias, dwarf sag, vals.... But the bulb has not been replaced in years! It will get a new bulb for the new year, and I'd love to give the light any boost I can give it while Im at it.

Does the color of the light matter? I've heard of blue light, daylight, white...

You want around 6500k. It will usually say Warm Daylight or plant bulb. It is white.

Avoid Actinic and 50/50. Saltwater lights.

After googling this issue I learned that 24" T-8 bulbs I can find at Lowes MAY NOT fit in my standard hood? Is this true?

If so, that's a let down! ;)

Or will any 24" t8 fluorescent plant bulbs I find at Lowes fit in my standard hood?
I'm perfectly find if the new bulb I get is still 17 watts, like the bulb I have now. 17 watts grows exactly what I need it to grow, even with the entire surface of the water covered in frogbit. I just hoped that replacing my 3 yr old bulb will make the situation a little better ;)

I have a coralife 65w t5 on my 29g. Cost around $80 and grows my java fern and anubis nana;s just fine.

I just put a Aqualight from Coral Life on my 29 gal. It has two 18W T5 bulbs and it is doing a great with my Low and Medium light plants. I have everything from Java Fern to some Ludwiga with red in it, and everything is growing fine. The Low light stuff is really loving it. I got the light for under $40 from Aquarium guys a few weeks ago. It is the 30" version and it fits on my old hood pretty well. Even if it didn't you could add a glass top and still be talking about minimal expense. I searched high and low for an inexpensive fixture to upgrade my T8's and this is the best option I found. The Stock T8's do all right with the really low light stuff, but add a little more light with Fourish, and Excel and you will be amazed.

gabysapha said:
After googling this issue I learned that 24" T-8 bulbs I can find at Lowes MAY NOT fit in my standard hood? Is this true?

If so, that's a let down! ;)

Or will any 24" t8 fluorescent plant bulbs I find at Lowes fit in my standard hood?
I'm perfectly find if the new bulb I get is still 17 watts, like the bulb I have now. 17 watts grows exactly what I need it to grow, even with the entire surface of the water covered in frogbit. I just hoped that replacing my 3 yr old bulb will make the situation a little better ;)

Any 24" T8 should fit. They are all standard size. Just make sure you are measuring the bulb not the fixture.

For plants you want near 6,500K
it may mention plants or say warm daylight. Just make sure not to exceed the wattage of your hood or you can get excess heat and burn out your new bulb.

Kelvin rating is also important, not just watts for useable light for plants.

Too much light without injected CO2 will just grow a ton of algae.

Ask for 6,500K 24" t8 !!!! then you should be set !!

Kelvin rating isn't particularly important and is often over-emphasized. It's a indicator of the perceived color of the bulb, not necessarily the usefulness of the light for planted tanks. Any bulb from about 12000K to 4000K will work for planted tank as long as they are full spectrum bulbs, and I've heard positive things about Hagen's 18000K bulb. I would personally not trade my 4000K Giesemann Aquafloras for any bulb in production.

I have fixtures with t8 and t5 bulbs you are going to have to figure out which one you have. The t5 is about as big around as a nickel and the t8 is about the size of a quarter.

Everyone,

Thank you so much for your help! All my questions have been answered!

I went to Lowes just now and it seems there are no 24" t8s that are 6500k. There were a few that were 5000 but I don't remember what kind of light they were described as having! I'll have to ask tomorrow for a 24" 6500k.

What bothered me was that a few bulbs were 17watts, but several were 20 watts. I was wondering if 20 watts would be too much for the fixture, and it seems it would be safer to stick with 17 watts.

There were also many more t12s than t8s! I almost bought one and stopped myself; thankfully I noticed the bulb was just too large to be the right one!

I came back empty-handed, but will go again tomorrow morning with fresh eyes!!!

Well, I went back to Lowes and they did not have the right size T8 for my light fixture. It was so frustrating! So I gave up and went nextdoor to Petsmart to drop $16 on a Floramax bulb.

Oh well. But at least it is cheaper than buying a new fixture! And it was convenient finding the exact bulb I needed.

Someday I'll get all DIY and make my own light fixture on a budget ;)

Thanks everyone! I'm also trying to stock this tank so I created another thread. I have a bunch of questions, so if you would be so kind as to take a peek and see if you have advice to add? Have a great week!

Back
Top Bottom