Looking for Suggestions for South American PLantings

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fynnie

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am putting out the call..please let me know what type of plants would best compliment a South American Biotope. I have a 32 gallon and would like to do a species tank with Rainbow Cichlids. I would prefer real plants, they are just nicer.
I am hoping to find a wonderful twisted bit of river wood large enough to take up the back wall. On that I would like to train a few different types of plants. I like mass plantings BTW so I need a vigorous, fast growing plant for the very core of the tank. Any suggestions?
Ah and one more thing anyone got some good ideas for attatching some sort of base ( slate?) to the wood?

Moved to Planted tank forum.

Check the "myinfo" button at the bottom of my post. I have those in my SA biotope at the moment. Fast growers (nutrient hogs) would include anacharis, hornwort and wisteria (had them at one time or another).

If you can get a nice piece of slate, all you need to do is attach it with regular screws.

if i was home i'd just cut and paste the list of plants i've got growing in my south american biotope...

off the top of my head - green cabomba (grows fast, nice and bright) hornwort, all sorts of sword plants, stargrass and i've also got two gorgeous red leaf plants that i can't remember their names...

here's a helpful site anyways.

http://www.plantgeek.net/plantguide_list.php?category=6&filter_by=19

i just remembered the name of the red plant - alternanthera i believe - i have two different types.

fynnie said:
I am putting out the call..please let me know what type of plants would best compliment a South American Biotope. I have a 32 gallon and would like to do a species tank with Rainbow Cichlids. I would prefer real plants, they are just nicer.
I am hoping to find a wonderful twisted bit of river wood large enough to take up the back wall. On that I would like to train a few different types of plants. I like mass plantings BTW so I need a vigorous, fast growing plant for the very core of the tank. Any suggestions?
Ah and one more thing anyone got some good ideas for attatching some sort of base ( slate?) to the wood?
we can give you all kinds of suggestions if you want...but before i suggest anything...lets see what you are set up to grow?

How much light do you have? Wattage and type of bulbs...
do you plan to add fertilizers?
Do you plan to add CO2?

the answers to these questions will help use suggest the best plants for your set up :D

I didn't know Alternanthera was from S.A., but it is one of my favorite plants!

Here's mine (the REALLY red one on the left):
DSC08697.JPG

http://www.tropica.com/default.asp

It is not the easiest plant to grow though. Best would be to post up your tank stats (see JDogg above)

How much light do you have? Wattage and type of bulbs...
do you plan to add fertilizers?
Do you plan to add CO2?

As far as lighting I have a 20 watt Aqaglow with 18000k spectrum
And I do use Iron enriched Plant Gro 0.15-0-0
I know nothing about CO2 but I would use it .. Is it available in Liquid form?
How would it be used with the easiest possible method?

I am also wondering about the best places to buy plants...LFS or On Line? ( my LFS dosent seem to have a very good selection and what they do stock looks really unhealthy and very expensive.)

With your current lighting you are looking at a very low light tank. The majority of the plants that have been listed so far would be highly unlikely to survive with that little light. If you're willing to upgrade your lighting, then you would have a much better chance of achieving your goals.

CO2 is a source of carbon. Flourish Excel is a liquid source of carbon. Flourish Excel is not CO2, but does achieve very similar results.

Actually the best source of plants is probably other hobbiests of the forums. They are often willing to send you their clippings for very reasonable prices (often just the cost of shipping or even free). Second best would probably be online if you don't have a LFS with good plants. We can help you figure out which ones are worth giving a try.

If you haven't already, check out the sticky at the top of the forum. It's got links to lots of great information (threads and articles) that will help you get a handle on what you need to know.

Back
Top Bottom