Looks like they scammed me with False SAE

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ahelmes71

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hmmmm....I'm starting to think I purchased a couple of "False Siamensis" instead of true Siamese Algae Eaters. The black stripe does not continue through the tail fin. :facepalm: To show how stupid I am (and apparently also the guy at the local pet store) I thought I was purchasing Otos. I even asked him if those fish (advertised as SAE) were Otos. He said yes.

Now I've learned that Otos are not the same as SAE and that there are a few impostor lookalikes frequently sold as SAE.

Assuming they are False SAE, will these guys still eat some of the algae?

I'm starting to understand now why they say you shouldn't purchase fish to help control your algae issues. At least these guys are small and cute and won't cause too much trouble. (I hope)

ahelmes71 said:
Hmmmm....I'm starting to think I purchased a couple of "False Siamensis" instead of true Siamese Algae Eaters. The black stripe does not continue through the tail fin. :facepalm: To show how stupid I am (and apparently also the guy at the local pet store) I thought I was purchasing Otos. I even asked him if those fish (advertised as SAE) were Otos. He said yes.

Now I've learned that Otos are not the same as SAE and that there are a few impostor lookalikes frequently sold as SAE.

Assuming they are False SAE, will these guys still eat some of the algae?

I'm starting to understand now why they say you shouldn't purchase fish to help control your algae issues. At least these guys are small and cute and won't cause too much trouble. (I hope)

Can you post a picture?
http://www.fishlore.com/aquariummagazine/may08/siamese-algae-eater-id.htm

It certainly sounds like you did not get SAEs based on your description. They could be flying foxes. They most likely are not going to eat algae, and could potentially get aggressive.

Back
Top Bottom