Lots of algae problems..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

exodus

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I've been having rather large problems with algae on my plants. Most of them look like they have rather black leaves, looks like its long and whispy. Plants are growing VERY well though, I'm having to do rather large trimmings every week.

I just got back from being out of town for a week, so the tank went without ferts for awhile (dosing dry from gregwatson.com).

What can I do to eliminate this algae? I've tried getting the plants to outcompete it for nutrients, wisteria is growing like crazy yet still algae problems. The wisteria itself is nice and bright green, but other than that my plants are brown/black from the algae.

Here's a few shots of the tank, I'd also like to know if anyone has an idea about why my sand is turning black as well. Its really ugly to look at.

Tank is a 55g, PFS w/ 2x 175MH. CO2 injection, fertilized every day.

Any Ideas?

img_690123_0_22592dbdc7766b681f46bf63f40d34c2.jpg

img_690123_1_0271604fe448572fc4afd2f2c6ecbd2c.jpg

On another note - Can anyone provide any tips for plant locations in my tank? I think the way its setup right now looks very ugly and amateur, if anyone could provide some aquascaping tips that'd be excellent!

What are your test results for NO3, PO4, pH, and KH? What specific ferts and amounts are you dosing? Do you have MTS and/or manually stir the sand?

I agree, what are your current levels?

Here's what I would do, start fresh. First, remove as much algae as you can, doesn't need to be perfectly clean, just get as much as you can. Then do a large PWC, and go into a 5 day blackout, no light, no feeding. I just completed mine yesterday, and no algae whatsoever in my 29G. Once the blackout is done, do another PWC and gravel cleaning, or if using Eco Complete, get whatever is on the top by swirling the gravel vac over the top of it, and then refill. This will set you back to a fresh start. Once filled, start your dosing as normal.

That is brush algae, my personal arch-nemesis. It is difficult to get rid of. Even with a good dosing schedule I only just managed to slow it down. I found flourish excel along with co2 and a good dosing scedule to be the only way to get rid of it. However, I did not try a blackout as LWB suggested. What ferts do you use?

Back
Top Bottom