Lots of questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wings_fan

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I want to set up a new 10g tank for a single betta and I want it to be planted. So far, I am really confused about the requirements for plants. I want low light, easy to maintain plants like Anubis and java moss. What kind of ferts would be needed and how often? Do I need a special substrate? I feel overwhelmed every time I look into planted tanks.

Hey mate, you have many options when it comes to a low tech setup.
The main thing is lighting. You don't want to to go strong with your lighting or you'll have issues. I'd recommend just using a desk lamp with a 6500k blub (like those twisty energy saving globes) or does your hood already have a light in it?

A nutrient rich substrate is a good idea, if you use a non nutrient rich substrate then you will need to use the addition of root tabs. Personally I would use a organic soil like miricle grow organic top soil topped with sand or a very fine grained gravel. If this seems abit overwhelming I'd use something like Tropica soil or Ada soil (light version). Having nutrients available at the roots will make the tank easier to balance.

However if your only planning on using plants like anubias and Java moss (rhizome plants) you may get away with not using a nutrient rich substrate.

Seachems fertiliser range is perfect for low tech setup's. Flourish, flourish excel and iron(if you feel it's needed) will work fine [emoji106] if the tank isn't heavily planted you could even half the dosage recommended on the bottle.

I'd suggest plants like anubias, Java fern, moss and crypts.

Hope this helps [emoji106]

I wish I still had pictures of my 10g betta tank.

It had Hornwort, Anubias, Crypts, Water Wisteria, and a single Java Fern plant. The hornwort gets messy, quick. Water Wisteria grew out of my tank in a couple of weeks, so it does require some trimming. Anubias & crypts are the two best. Anubias is a slow grower and Crypts, with some trimming, grow like a bush and not straight up.

Plants will grow good, even without co2 in a shallow tank like that. I personally think 10g and 20L are the two best starter tanks for beginners with planted tanks. They're shallow tanks so you don't need a high dollar light fixture like you would with a deeper tank.

Bert has awesome tanks and advice, so listen to him. I'm just trying to fill in his blanks :p

Don't get stressed, planted tanks are the best. They're super healthy for fish because they act like mini water filters. Fish really appreciate the natural look of real plants and it won't stress them as much, gives them places to hide. The pros far out weigh the cons. Which is you have to spend a little extra time to tend to your plants and in the end it's worth it.

So flourish, flourish excel, and possibly iron should cover all the nutrient requirements? That has been the most confusing part of trying to figure all this out.

I had been looking at using flourite as a substrate, but didn't know if that'd be overkill since most of what I've been looking at doesn't require planting into the substrate.

I found and awesome piece of Manzanita driftwood to put in here as well, so my planning is coming together! I'm not looking to set up the tank for a few months, so right now it's all gathering info and preping. This is going in my bedroom so I want it to be calming as well as awesome for my fishy friend.

I use ECO Complete for my substrate and it does help. You might not want plants that go into the substrate now but think further ahead. You may want them in the future and tearing a tank complete down is a pain. So if you don't want that hassle then do it now and most of that substrate looks better than just the gravel you get at Petco and stuff. A lot more natural looking.

I really only use iron if I have red plants. They need higher light and a lot of nutrients to get the color to pop and they will rot without the iron.

Sand is easiest to clean when you don't want nutrient rich substrate. The food and waste can't fall between the sand so it's easy to vacuum the substrate without causing a sand storm. You will have to work the sand around for awhile or you could get air pockets, which can hold bacteria and once it's released, it can kill your livestock. I've never had any issues with ECO Complete or sand. It really depends on what you're wanting.

Bert, I apologize, I didn't see you asked about my hood. I don't have anything to cover it yet, as I am still in the process of gathering things together that I like. I was considering doing a glass cover like my 65g has and putting a light over that. I like how easy it is to access the tank with that cover, and couldn't find a kit I liked because of the integrated lighting in the ones I saw. So I am still on the hunt for a light. I was looking at this one but wasn't sure about it.

Bert, I apologize, I didn't see you asked about my hood. I don't have anything to cover it yet, as I am still in the process of gathering things together that I like. I was considering doing a glass cover like my 65g has and putting a light over that. I like how easy it is to access the tank with that cover, and couldn't find a kit I liked because of the integrated lighting in the ones I saw. So I am still on the hunt for a light. I was looking at this one but wasn't sure about it.

I'd skip on that light, you want one that's suited to plants. If your after a LED panel like that I'd suggest going with the finnex planted plus or a chihiros a series or RBG. If you don't mind having a clip on style lamp then I'd just go for the 6500k bulbs you can buy at any hardware or grocery store [emoji106]

As above - I have a 'cheap Australian' LED blue/white light on small tank and even with all blue lights taped off / half of white lights blocked off -> still can readily get algae issues and plants just ok with it. Planning to get a plant light with more reds and lower intensity.

Back
Top Bottom