Lotus bulbs losing leaves

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tootall

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
65gal planted tank, 15-20gal changed every two weeks, had 6 small fish, added 14 more small tetras.

Now a week later, I'm losing leaves off of my lotus plants. They're breaking off midway in their stems. The longer that they're left in the tank, the more the stems break down.

I did a water change last night and the leaves are still falling off. I used to have some DIY Co2 injection setup and one time, but the bottle ran out about 2 months ago, so I switched to some flora 24. I did 3-4 drops every 3 days. I quit doing that about 4 weeks ago. The plants have always looked great. I didn't have any problems until I added the new fish. (petsmart, x-mas gift card)

Any ideas? Did I get some fungus from the pet store, I've never used them for fish, but for everything else.

How long has the tank been set up ? How long have you had the Lotus plant in question ? How much light is the tank getting ? Do you use any fertilizers ? Are you using any carbon source at all ? What other plants are in the tank ? What species of fish do you have ? (please try and be more specific than "small tetras" and "small fish")

I highly doubt its the fish causing a problem (unless they are nibbling on the plant stems) - I'd think it was a lack of nutrients for the plants.

I think the reason you haven't gotten very many responses is that you haven't given enough information to formulate a theory on why your plants are suffering.

When my lotus would lose leaves, the leaves would start to fall apart long before the stem.

Are the stems damaged at all? Do the stems get bent/kinked during water changes?

the tank has been setup for almost 10 months
the 4 bulbs are all the same age, about 8-9 months
10 inch air stone is on for 10 hours at a time with the lights
lighting - 120 total, running at half right now, for the last 4 months
ferts - flora 24, 3-4 drops every three days
fish -
6 Cardinal Tetra, - new
3 zebras,
3 glow neons
3 tiger barbs - new
1 loach,
2 cory cats
1 pleco, - new
1 fire Gourami,
7-9 ghost shrimp

The steams did look to be bent or kinked, then the day after, they'll seperate.

I think that's about it. Any help would be great

I'm starting to get some new growth in, but most of the leaves have fallen off.
I put the CO2 injection back on (sugar/yeast)

if they were new i would say it's lack of light. i have had stem plants rot halfway down the stem and break apart, due to not getting enough light. how old are your bulbs? maybe it's time to get new ones?

they're about 8-9 months old, there's still some new growth comming in, we'll see if they make a comeback

Back
Top Bottom