Low Care Plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theotheragentm

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm curious to what you guys would put together for a low maintenance planted tank. Low maintenance, you define it. I'd like to see everyone's responses. Please include what you consider low maintenance. It could mean a huge ball of Java Moss or Duckweed.

What do you guys think?

I think of low maintenence as plants that don't need much in terms of ferts or much attention other than light. Java ferns, java moss, anubias nana.... 1.5 to 2 wpg of light and you should be good.

I also would add crypts and swords to that list...they don't need CO2 or lots of light and don't grow so fast (usually) to need lots of trimming like stem plants.

Unless you wish to have your surface completely covered with it, I would leave duckweed off the list. The other plants mentioned are pretty much standard for low-light, low-maintenance.

Jchillin said:
Unless you wish to have your surface completely covered with it, I would leave duckweed off the list. The other plants mentioned are pretty much standard for low-light, low-maintenance.

Yup, but that would be pretty low maintenance, except for the scraping the top of the water over and over. Maybe not so low maintenance...

I would have to say that java moss is the ultimate low maintenance plant. I have a glass container of java moss in my bathroom that grows just fine without any additional lighting. I basically only add water because of evaporation. I also have a java fern in the container as well, but it only grows to a fraction of the size compared to the one in my tank.

I try just about everything in my little low tech nano which gets excel "when I think about it" to quote Rex Grigg.

one rotala came up with lovely tiny leaves, completely changing form, but growing beautifully.. so you never know what will work. try it and see ;)

Back
Top Bottom