Low light carpet?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nvallejov

Aquarium Advice Regular
Is there a plant I could use as a carpet I have a 13gal aqarium with 28 watt light t5's I might dose co2 or use pressurized if I need to

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Sweet! Do you know a good website to buy from?

I would go to the AA Classified section and see if anyone is selling it. If not the you can put a post in the Wanted section.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Hygrophila Polysperma is great if you can find it. It grows well but you'll need to trim it fairly frequently.

Dwarf sag

You would need a huge tank 500 gal+ for dwarf sag to be a carpet plant.

Op it's tough to carpet a tank that size in low light as most plants that are used for carpets grow taller in low light and compact in higher light. Marsilea minuta may be an option though it usually doesn't get more than a couple inches tall even in low light.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

You would need a huge tank 500 gal+ for dwarf sag to be a carpet plant.

Op it's tough to carpet a tank that size in low light as most plants that are used for carpets grow taller in low light and compact in higher light. Marsilea minuta may be an option though it usually doesn't get more than a couple inches tall even in low light.

I think you are thinking of the wrong plant. Dwarf sag easily carpets with minimal light. You just trim it and it spreads horizontally instead of vertically. I've done it many times.

I've received dwarf sag from two different vendors and they behaved differently. The original one remained pretty short (3-5") and the latter one grew to the top of my 20g long (~12"). They grew side by side and received the same light and ferts. Not sure why the variation. The shorter variety eventually went out to a small pond and produced flowers and arial leaves.

Yeah, in such a small tank dwarf sag is not really going to look like a tradition carpet (or lawn) but really just a foreground plant (or even a background plant depending on how tall it grows). In my lowtech 10g it typically grows between 5-7 inches tall, although as Fresh already pointed out it's height varies under different conditions.

The addition of CO2 (pressurized or DIY) would give you quite a few more options. Ranalisma rostrata and Micrantherum umbrosum "Monte Carlo" are relatively easy medium light/CO2 supplemented carpet plants once given time to establish. Staurogyne repens is a popular stem plant that can be trimmed and replanted to look like a carpet too and does fine in medium light. Various mosses (flame, fissidens, mini pellia, Xmas, peacock, etc) tied to SS mesh or stones also can work very well when done right.

If you decide to keep it low tech you can do the m. minuta (although it's a slowwww grower in low tech) or maybe just look into doing a bunch of crypt parva as an easy grassy-looking foreground plant.

I think you are thinking of the wrong plant. Dwarf sag easily carpets with minimal light. You just trim it and it spreads horizontally instead of vertically. I've done it many times.

I never said it wouldn't carpet, I've never seen it grow smaller than 5" under any conditions. In a 13 gallon it would be a mid/background plant.

gZSJNir.png

Short stuff in the front and long stuff in the back is all dwarf sag. All came from the same person, in the same batch, and looked the same at the time. It's might be a foreground plant, but it's not a carpeting plant in my opinion.

How well would Christmas moss grow in my low tech aquarium?

Back
Top Bottom