Low light floating plants...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Catfish Lover

Aquarium Advice Freak
I plan on getting some amazon frogbit and salvinia minima. Will 1 T8 daylight bulb over my 55 gallon be enough for them? I know to try and have as little surface disturbance as possible but just want to know if these plants can grow successfully under this light.

I plan on getting some amazon frogbit and salvinia minima. Will 1 T8 daylight bulb over my 55 gallon be enough for them? I know to try and have as little surface disturbance as possible but just want to know if these plants can grow successfully under this light.

If I recall correctly those are ,medium light plants and you have very low lighting so I am sorry to say they will not work.

Yes, amazon frogbit and salvinia minima are medium light plants, you could maybe pull off the frogbit though since it is more of a low - medium light... maybe.

Since its right on the surface literally a couple inches from the light it still won't work? I posted on another message board also and they said since the plants are at the surface almost any lighting would be sufficient for those plants I mentioned...thoughts?

It depends on the type of floater. Some like water lettuce and water hyacinth will only work in high light. I can only keep them alive and healthy in my big tank with metal halide lighting. In other tanks that even have T5HO lighting these plants just slowly decline. The frogbig and salvinia IMO will not get enough light intensity for them to thrive. I personally would get some water sprite and float it. It will develop roots that hang into the water just like other floaters and will do fine in that type light. Otherwise you can try the ones you want but don't be disappointed if they don't do well.

I had water lettuce growing quite well in a 5.5g with a T8. Your setup probably wouldn't be all that much less light.

Mine never grew worth a da*n in my 55g's with a dual bulb T5HO. Same with the Water Hyacinth's. I have had great results with floating and growing the Water Sprite in low light tanks tho.

Back
Top Bottom