low light/low tech plant list: recommendations?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gabysapha

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a 29g and 10g low light low tech that I'm trying to fill in.

RIght now I have the usual plants sold at Petsmart: java ferns, java moss, a little riccia, red ludwigia, hornwort (I think it's ugly)

I also have water wisteria, which people tell me is a med light plant but I'm having great success with it.

I also have a little bunch of cabomba (purple?) and cabomba (light green?). Again, I've read they do well in med light as well as low light.

Are there other low light plants you like and recommend? A floating plant would be great- some members told me about duckweed.

Thank you!!!

Low Light Plants

Hello gaby...

There are a number of very good ones, hardy and easy to grow in low light. I have the usual Java fern, Anubias and varieties of Cryptocoryne. Some good stems are Pennywort, Ludwigia and Water sprite floated.

Some of the taller Amazon swords and Singpore moss look nice too. Try potting some of the low light plants using some organic potting soil topped with standard pea gravel substrate. The potting mixture nourishes the plants through the shock of planting and you won't lose as much of the plant. I have some experimental tanks I use for pots and the plants grow very well (see pics).

If you have any questions, just let me know.

B

Hello gaby...

There are a number of very good ones, hardy and easy to grow in low light. I have the usual Java fern, Anubias and varieties of Cryptocoryne. Some good stems are Pennywort, Ludwigia and Water sprite floated.

Some of the taller Amazon swords and Singpore moss look nice too. Try potting some of the low light plants using some organic potting soil topped with standard pea gravel substrate. The potting mixture nourishes the plants through the shock of planting and you won't lose as much of the plant. I have some experimental tanks I use for pots and the plants grow very well (see pics).

If you have any questions, just let me know.

B

Thank you so much for the pictures!! Your plants look so beautiful.

Ahh, pennywort! I love the look of that plant- I may need to start asking around the forum to order some!

I'm intimidated by crypts honestly! I only have gravel as a substrate and I fear crypts would not do well without root tabs. But if they can do well with just Flourish added to the water, than I'll certainly give them a try.

And yes, potting sounds like a great idea and I wonder why it did not occur to me before...

Thanks so much for the tips :)

Don't fear Crypts, just try a C. wendti and see how it does. I'm new to crypts and LOVE them. Buy from hobbyists to save money. Check here or The Planted Tank forums.

Back
Top Bottom