Low-Light Plant List, Ready to stock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marconis

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey guys. My tank (10g) finished cycling last week, so I am stocking (fish and plants) this week! I am buying fish on Friday, but plants I haven't decided yet if I should order or get in the store. Sweet Aquatics has everything I want for $13.15, plus $10 shipping. Do you guys prefer ordering plants or seeing what your LFS has and buying there?

Here's my list:

2x Bacopa Australis
1x Bacopa Monnieri
1x Java Fern
1x Cryptocoryne Crispatula
1x Anubias Barteri Var. Broadleaf

This would be pretty definite if you guys agree with it. Just a reminder, I am using PFS and have a 15W bulb.

Thanks!

Oh, one more thing: How common are Penguin Tetras in LFS? I am checking out two or three places on Friday, and recently saw Penguins online and fell in love with them.

Is that bulb a fluorescent or an incandescent bulb? If it's incandescent, I think the Bacopa will struggle.

I've had problems getting my Bacopa Monnieri to grow well under low-light conditions. Long stems drop their leaves except for near the tops and short stems just don't grow.

I can get penguin tetras at one of my LFSs. I don't think they'd be a good match for a 10g. Penguins do get larger than a lot of tetras.

Is that bulb a fluorescent or an incandescent bulb? If it's incandescent, I think the Bacopa will struggle.

I've had problems getting my Bacopa Monnieri to grow well under low-light conditions. Long stems drop their leaves except for near the tops and short stems just don't grow.

I can get penguin tetras at one of my LFSs. I don't think they'd be a good match for a 10g. Penguins do get larger than a lot of tetras.

It's fluorescent. I'll definitely take the Monnieri difficulty into consideration. Thanks for the heads up, as well as for the heads up with the Penguins.

I'm no expert as I am just setting up my first planted tank but I know the java ferns on your list do like low light settings. I too am considering the Bacopa Australis and Crypt Crispatula- as well as Crypt Retrospiralis. Have you looked at any Vals? I've been told they do well in low light conditions as well.

My friend had penguins and they were much, much happier in a group of ten. Which would not be advisable in a 10g. They are adorable little guys. I had three together, but after seeing the bigger group, I felt horrible for mine.

Thanks for the suggestions guys! When I go to get fish on Friday, I'll just see what looks nice and I'll take home whatever I can in terms of plants.

Ah, this is gonna feel great. So excited.

I've been growing bacopa austalis in lowlight tanks very successfully since last summer.

As for where to buy, if you have great stuff at your LFS go for it, but most don't. Watch out for non-aquatic plants being sold as great for any aquarium. That's why buying aquatic plants online is so popular.

Final testing this morning after a large water change last night, and a dosing of ammo:

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 10-20- They need to do something about this, because my eyes cannot distinguish between the 10 orange and the 20 orange!
pH-6.8-7

After class today I am going to buy 5 Rummynose, or 5 cardinals and 1 or 2 plants to start. So excited...nervous at the same time, haha. Been a while!

+1 on the 10-20ppm being hard to distinguish. My card actually shows 10ppm as being just a tad darker than 20ppm!

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom