Low light plants?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bobby56

Aquarium Advice Freak
What are some good low light plants? I have never tried live plants and thought that would be the best place to start

U don't need anything special with low light plants right? Just plant and do everything else like normal

Bobby56 said:
U don't need anything special with low light plants right? Just plant and do everything else like normal

Well....that depends. What kind of lights are you running? You can grow low light plants in a high tech tank and have awesome quality plants. You can grow low light plants in a low tech tank and have minimal growth. Survival really.

You do need a good light source, whether it be sunlight (often difficult to control algae) or good full spectrum bulbs. They don't have to be a high wattage/intensity fixture, but the right spectrum bulb is essential.

FishEggs said:
T5 and T8 refer to the size/type of fluorescent bulb it is. Lumens is a measurement of how much light there is.

Good info

So will they all fit my fixture? And that means a t12 puts out more light then t5?and the bulb I think is 1300 l

No, generally speaking you will need a t8 fixture for a t8 bulb, same with the others.

As far as output goes, t8 and t12 are pretty close, but t5 and then t5ho are much higher comparatively.

Have a look at this chart from http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/lighting/105774-par-vs-distance-t5-t12-pc.html

img_1839725_0_94f9956240823cbeee96b6c2139a2980.jpg

Back
Top Bottom