Low light plants?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fish44

Aquarium Advice Newbie
What are some low light plants besides java fern and anubias?

Fish...

If you like floating plants, Hornwort, Water sprite, Ancharis and Pennywort will all work in lower light. These don't require planting in the bottom material, they simply grow floating close to the light.

Cryptocoryne wendtii is a low light plant as are any of the mosses, like Java and Phoenix types. There aren't too many, but these will be enough for a medium sized tank.

B

What are some low light plants besides java fern and anubias?

Echinodorus, Bucephalandra, Bolbitis, Crinum, Cryptocoryne, and some others of the stem variety (Rotala rotundifolia, many types of Hygrophila, Ludwigia repens, etc.). Also, there are many interesting types of Java Fern and Anubias. I know that regular Java Fern can get boring, but there is Trident, Windelov, Needle Leaf, Narrow Leaf, Broad Leaf, Thor's Hammer, and many more. The aforementioned floating plants and mosses would work as well. It is a common misconception that there aren't many low light plants as that claim is false. Low light slows growth for many plants due to rate of photosynthesis, and although you couldn't grow demanding stem plants in low light, CO2, flow, and nutrients are important as well.

Echinodorus, Bucephalandra, Bolbitis, Crinum, Cryptocoryne, and some others of the stem variety (Rotala rotundifolia, many types of Hygrophila, Ludwigia repens, etc.). Also, there are many interesting types of Java Fern and Anubias. I know that regular Java Fern can get boring, but there is Trident, Windelov, Needle Leaf, Narrow Leaf, Broad Leaf, Thor's Hammer, and many more. The aforementioned floating plants and mosses would work as well. It is a common misconception that there aren't many low light plants as that claim is false. Low light slows growth for many plants due to rate of photosynthesis, and although you couldn't grow demanding stem plants in low light, CO2, flow, and nutrients are important as well.

Thanks for the reply. I currently have java fern (windelov) and an Anubia in the tank that are doing ok. It is just a really deep tank with not great lighting so I will look into those plants for my tank.

Back
Top Bottom