low-light plants suggestions (long post alert)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mikemou

Aquarium Advice Activist
Was wondering what, if any, plants can grow(slowly fine) in a 36 watt standard 55gal community tank which will not get upgraded anytime soon. There's no CO2 injection nor specialty substract. Currently holds a few java ferns and a couple Variegated Japanese Dwarf Rush(or something looks like it from Petsmart) with Anacharis floating on top but not doing very well.

My goal is not to keep a 'planted tank' so to speak but to take advantage of keeping live plants in a tank, but I also would like to keep as many plants as the tank can healthfully hold as is.

BTW, could someone decode the following list for me and tell me which one of these has a long-n-wide-yet-curly/wavy leaves? Also, which ones are red colored(or any color but green)??? I like the greens but a touch of red or yellow(?!) would be fun.

Aponogeton natans,
Anubias barteri var. 'nana',
Cryptocoryne aponogetifolia,
Cryptocoryne ciliata,
Cryptocoryne crispatula var. 'balansae',
Cryptocoryne parva,
Cryptocoryne wendtii var. 'red'

Cryptocoryne wendtii var. 'red'
That's the only plant that fits your description of long, semi wide, slightly rippled edges which are a bronzy/red color.

It'll do fine in that lighting setup, but stick a root tab under each plant to encourage it to setup a permanent home, as well as spread new plants.

Thanks malkore!

Where would I get a root tab?

Also, I just noticed that you keep tiger barbs and tetras in the same tank. What type of tetras do you have? Do you barbs bother them at all?

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom