Low light - Substrate/Fert

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

qpegasus

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey guys,

I'm cycling a 120L tank at the moment and I'm planning on a low light plant setup. Lighting is a single 30W T8 (so about 1wpg) and I'd like to go with crypts, anubias and try out Vallis (spiralis perhaps) for the background.

However the tank currently only has sand as the substrate so I'll need to do something to make sure the plants get the nutrients they need. Do I need to be thinking of adding a layer of laterite or fluorite under the sand, or would the crypts and vals be fine if just planted with root tabs and fed with a liquid fert?

One LFS told me that they did Flourite under a sand bed, and they had some lighter colored medium gravel on top, it looked great, but I can only imagine that it would b very difficult to re-arrange the tank once planted, or add many plants for that matter, unless the sand bed was deep enough that you wouldn't disturb the Flourite when planting anything new. It sounds like a good idea on paper and I'm considering doing it for my 37 once I get it ready to go, so keep us updated.

I currently have about 50-60 Vallisneris Nana and probably need to get rid of some, if you're looking for some nice ones...

Thanks for the replies. I think I'll just start with root tabs and a water based fert and see how it goes.

Floyd - Thanks for the offer but I dont know how well they'd handle an atlantic crossing.

Root tabs would work with plain gravel. As a matter of fact you would probably be getting the greatest benefit from adding them. I highly recommend Flourish Tabs from Seachem. They last about 3 months and you use about 2 or 3 for every ten gallons (they provide nutrients for a 4" to 6" radius).

what you do need to watch for with the co2 injection is the change in pH level of the tank water.

Even when I had the lower light I did the DIY co2 deal. Couldn't really tell the difference. I put it back in when I changed from gravel to sand.

In a month's time I changed from gravel to sand. Boosted by lights, added co2 and dosed with fert. So not sure if any one single part did any good or if it was a combination of two or more.

It won't hurt them. But without higher light and fertilizer it won't help much either. If the co2 concentration is unstable and not kept ~20ppm or more, it could encourage algae growth.

oh ok i will start with root tabs andgo from there as fisheggs said so thanx

Back
Top Bottom