Low/med light plant suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

libertybelle

Aquarium Advice Addict
Any suggestions for other types of plants that will work with Low to Med light with light fert/excel?(no c02) Some I've seen and considered at my LFS:

Staurogyne Repens,
Corkscrew Valisneria,
Micro sword,
Dwarf Sagittaria,
Limnophila Hippuroides,
Bacopa

Most echinodorus species (amazon sword, bleheri, ozelot, etc)

any anubias variety, and there are a few

java fern (any variety I've seen)

wisteria

mosses--java, Christmas, flame

ludwigia species--green, water primrose, red (may or may not keep the red coloration. Mine appears to stay green until it gets to a certain distance from the lights then it turns red)

anacharis/elodea

hornwort (floating)

dwarf water lettuce (floating)

crypts--lots of different crypt species, wendtii green, red, and bronze being the more common I see

other vallisneria species (jungle val, V. spiralis)

aponogeton species

some hygrophila species--compacta, difformis (which is wisteria, btw)

Marino moss balls

All my tanks are low tech, low to medium light and these have all been relatively successful for me. I use play sand for substrate, in case you're wondering, dose water column ferts sporadically, and shove a few root tabs near the heavy root feeders on occasion.

+1 for Crypts
821a3fddd37841bc079bd614cc36f68c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have had good success with Hygrophila Corymbosa too for low maintenance plants they are helping keep my nitrates in check. I run my canopy lights 10-12 hours a day. Nice bright green foilage from my lfs

Most echinodorus species (amazon sword, bleheri, ozelot, etc)

any anubias variety, and there are a few

java fern (any variety I've seen)

wisteria

mosses--java, Christmas, flame

ludwigia species--green, water primrose, red (may or may not keep the red coloration. Mine appears to stay green until it gets to a certain distance from the lights then it turns red)

anacharis/elodea

hornwort (floating)

dwarf water lettuce (floating)

crypts--lots of different crypt species, wendtii green, red, and bronze being the more common I see

other vallisneria species (jungle val, V. spiralis)

aponogeton species

some hygrophila species--compacta, difformis (which is wisteria, btw)

Marino moss balls

All my tanks are low tech, low to medium light and these have all been relatively successful for me. I use play sand for substrate, in case you're wondering, dose water column ferts sporadically, and shove a few root tabs near the heavy root feeders on occasion.

+ 1 Crypts and Anubias are awesome for low tech tanks.

Plus, Windelov Java Fern offers cool contrast

Swords can offer color, especially Red Flame Swords

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom