Low tech 10gal lighting...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

howgeneric

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 10gal no CO2... I'm looking to get a lighting for the tank (currently only using sunlight) I'm very confused by all the different options out there. I don't wasn't anything too fancy, just some lights that will keep my plants alive but also make it easier to regulate algae. Is there something simple I can set up that is commonly used but still effective?

20 inch Aquatic Life t-5 HO fixture. it'll keep your plants alive. Algae blooms will happen in almost any planted tank without co2. u can combat this with some flourish excel or algae eating fish or co2 but u said u like it low tech. Also, natural sunlight causes algae blooms. get it out of the sun.

I would not go with T5HO lights for a low tech 10 gallon tank. That's overkill. For a high tech tank it would be great, though.

An easy, cheap, and very proven light setup for a 10 gallon is a common incandescent light strip that you can often find at Walmart and most pet stores. They cost around $15 bucks. You can use CFL "daylight" bulbs that are sold everywhere but the 10 watt ones in the pet stores and in the Walmart aquarium isle are the best for most plants. Some people get higher watt daylight bulbs if they have a bigger tank or use co2 and want very strong light.

The thing that makes this system so great is you can easily make the light stronger or weaker just by buying different watt bulbs. As long as you make sure to only use daylight bulbs and not cool or warm white it'll be great. I used this exact setup for years with loads of different plant types, and it's very popular. Best part is that when it's time to replace the bulbs (every 12 months) you can still use them around the house in lamps, belong lights or wherever. The light quality declines after around a year, just like any other fluorescent light, so you don't want to run them over an aquarium until they die, but around the house old bulbs are fine.

I have a 10gal no CO2... I'm looking to get a lighting for the tank (currently only using sunlight) I'm very confused by all the different options out there. I don't wasn't anything too fancy, just some lights that will keep my plants alive but also make it easier to regulate algae. Is there something simple I can set up that is commonly used but still effective?

I got a very basic 2 bulb Incandescent Fixture. I use 2 screw in Mini CFLs from Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003QZF7JA/ref=mp_s_a_1?qid=1338862052&sr=8-1

Put your lights on a timer. Block sunlight !
Reduce lights to 6 hours a day till you get a handle on the algae.

You can use Flourish Comprehensive and Excel to feed your plants and help them outcompete the Algae.
PWCs weekly also.

20 inch Aquatic Life t-5 HO fixture. it'll keep your plants alive. Algae blooms will happen in almost any planted tank without co2. u can combat this with some flourish excel or algae eating fish or co2 but u said u like it low tech. Also, natural sunlight causes algae blooms. get it out of the sun.

I must disagree, an HO ( High Output ) fixture on a 10g without CO2 is asking for an Algae Farm !
That's way too much light for a low tech tank.

And I never had an Algae Bloom in my 10g. Lights on timers. Ferts. Weekly water changes.

I do agree , no direct sunlight !

Yup, T5HO is wayy too much! On my 10g, I just use CFL's as Coralline said. I use 2 daylight CFL bulbs in a light fixture I got from lowes as well as the bulbs. Grows my plants great and I have not had any algae since I set up the tank 2 weeks ago :)

An easy, cheap, and very proven light setup for a 10 gallon is a common incandescent light strip that you can often find at Walmart and most pet stores. They cost around $15 bucks. You can use CFL "daylight" bulbs that are sold everywhere but the 10 watt ones in the pet stores and in the Walmart aquarium isle are the best for most plants. .

Just being clear for any noobs reading :)

Incandescent fixtures are screw in.
Fluorescent fixtures are the long tubes.
When you said " light strip " my mind went to long fluorescent fixtures.

Carry on with the good advice. :)

Thanks for the replies, I think the HO is out of my price range =) I'm relieved to hear there's a cheaper alternative. and I will definitely get it out of the sunlight!

I got the lights at walmart :) perfect!

How long should I keep these lights on? Should I invest in a timer? I am out of the house ~9-10 hours a day, I'm thinking of just turning it on before leaving for work and turning it off as soon as i get home...

I got the lights at walmart :) perfect!

How long should I keep these lights on? Should I invest in a timer? I am out of the house ~9-10 hours a day, I'm thinking of just turning it on before leaving for work and turning it off as soon as i get home...

$8 timer. Lights on 6-8 hours a day.
You can use a split schedule. I have mine on mornings. Off during hottest part of day and back on in evening when I'm home.

Coursair said:
Just being clear for any noobs reading :)

Incandescent fixtures are screw in.
Fluorescent fixtures are the long tubes.
When you said " light strip " my mind went to long fluorescent fixtures.

Carry on with the good advice. :)

Thank's for the clarification! That could have been confusing without a real explanation.
(y)

Coursair said:
$8 timer. Lights on 6-8 hours a day.
You can use a split schedule. I have mine on mornings. Off during hottest part of day and back on in evening when I'm home.

I also like a split, lights-on, photoperiod when work or school keeps you out of the house during the day. Increases the enjoyment time with the tank without having to deal with all the algae from an overly long photoperiod.

Back
Top Bottom