Low Tech Carpeting Plant?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jehenry89

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am doing a 10 gallon tank with two 13watt CFL lights. I don't have the cash to do co2 as I initially wanted and I don't want to dose excel. Do I have any options for a carpeting plant other than moss? Would microsword work?
Guess I should add that I will be dosing nutrients and root tabs.

Ya, I was actually just looking at the four leaf clover. I don't mind slow growth as long as what ever I chose actually grows lol.
I like both so what do you think would grow this best/fastest with my setup?

A 10g tank is a great size to do DIY CO2 in, and will open up a lot more options for you at minimal cost.

Ya I have thought about it and went back and fourth for about a month before I even started to set the tank up. But honestly, I kind of have my mind made up on just doing lowtech. I don't have anywhere to put the bottles for a DIY(literally have 2 6x6 cubicles of space in the stand to work with) and I don't have the funds to buy the equipment for a canister. I am already $20 dollars over my budget for equipment and I still need to get fish, plants and a piece of driftwood.

I may eventually upgrade if I ever come across extra cash, but for now, this is a better option for me. I am on a college student budget :(. I might check craigslist.

If you are doing a low tech tank, you may want to remove one cfl bulb.

Is a ten gallon? I have a 13 watt on my ten gallon and it seems to much light. It illuminates all the corners.

Most 10g with two CFLs use a hood that mounts the lights horizontally. They have much less output that if they're arranged vertically. It would be solid medium light IMO.

The reason I bought two was because I was scared to have dark areas of the tank. I figured I would play it by ear. If I have algae problems I will address them as they are thrown at me per say lol. However from what I read about using cfl lights instead of t5s is simply that the lumens are lower by quiet a bit so two 13watt lights would be concidered slightly over the 1watt per gallon for low light. I could be wrong but that's what I got from my research. Everyone's tank is different though so I will see what happens.

Thanks for all the great advice!!

The micro sword will IMO grow and fill in faster but either will work. I like the overall look of the clover when it's filled in so you could just start out with more to start. It will also be much shorter than the micro sword.

Back
Top Bottom