Low tech lighting question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nanofish

Aquarium Advice Freak
Having finally decided on the plants I want in my low tech/ low light 29 gallon, I'm wondering if an increase in lighting would serve me better. If I ordered my plants right now they would be under a single 20w T8 6700k bulb. The plants I'm planning are Apogenton crispus, java fern, dwarf water lily, watersprite (floating), and a variety of crypts (wendtii, retrospiralis, undulata, possibly becketii).

I'm not planning to use CO2 since I'm just learning and would like one less thing to worry about. With that being the case should I stick with my current setup? Or should I see about getting a dual T8 fixture?

Since they're all low light plants, I'd just stick with the light you have. Usually a lot of light will need CO2 to fight off the algae that may grow. I'm no expert on planted tanks, but I keep plenty of low light plants in my 29gal tank with a 20w bulb and they do just fine.

Thanks. Growth is going to take me forever I guess since the only place I found some of those sells them without leaves. Guess I have to be patient.

What do you have in your 29 gallon? Just curious.

nanofish said:
Thanks. Growth is going to take me forever I guess since the only place I found some of those sells them without leaves. Guess I have to be patient.

What do you have in your 29 gallon? Just curious.

Try adding root tabs for your Crypts. I LOVE my Crypts.

A bunch of java ferns and anubia. I'm planning on putting some watersprite from my other tank in there once it grows a bit more. I really don't think increased light will really up the growth unless you're dosing ferts and CO2 though... Just seems like all it will do for you is increase your algae. But again, I'm no plant expert.

Try adding root tabs for your Crypts. I LOVE my Crypts.

I heard there's a recipe for DIY root tabs on here somewhere. I need to find it since I'm definitely planning a ton of root feeders.

A bunch of java ferns and anubia. I'm planning on putting some watersprite from my other tank in there once it grows a bit more. I really don't think increased light will really up the growth unless you're dosing ferts and CO2 though... Just seems like all it will do for you is increase your algae. But again, I'm no plant expert.

The one time I tried live plants, I killed them so I'm even less of an expert than you. I'll be using ferts and maybe one day have CO2, just not now. As long as my plants live and grow I'll be happy. Plus the less money I spend on lighting, the more I have to spend on plants and fish. :ROFLMAO:

Having finally decided on the plants I want in my low tech/ low light 29 gallon, I'm wondering if an increase in lighting would serve me better. If I ordered my plants right now they would be under a single 20w T8 6700k bulb. The plants I'm planning are Apogenton crispus, java fern, dwarf water lily, watersprite (floating), and a variety of crypts (wendtii, retrospiralis, undulata, possibly becketii).

I'm not planning to use CO2 since I'm just learning and would like one less thing to worry about. With that being the case should I stick with my current setup? Or should I see about getting a dual T8 fixture?

Do not go T5s till you have CO2 and going dual T8s is a waste of money IMHO. Increased lighting means more algae unless you do CO2 and proper ferts. CO2 is needed or you'd grow an Algae Farm !

Be patient. Mine took off. Crypts hate being moved, but they bounce back. I have lots of Crypts in my tanks.

Do not go T5s till you have CO2 and going dual T8s is a waste of money IMHO. Increased lighting means more algae unless you do CO2 and proper ferts. CO2 is needed or you'd grow an Algae Farm !

Be patient. Mine took off. Crypts hate being moved, but they bounce back. I have lots of Crypts in my tanks.

I'm hoping to achieve a really nice lush, grown in look with a low tech setup. I guess the best thing to do is to order my plants and be patient as you said. I can always change the aquascape and experiment with other species that will work with the lighting if I feel it's not what I want.

T5NO might not be a problem on a 29, as they are fairly tall tanks. I definitely wouldn't go into T5HO without some sort of CO2 battle plan.

I would recommend going with just the T8 for now. If you find yourself needing more light, than you can upgrade fairly easily. Considering the plants that you have, it is entirely possible that just one T8 will suffice.

Thanks. I had built my original list around low light plants I found on theplantetank. After researching further I found that some were grown under low light but with CO2. I had to make some changes and replace a few species I had planned on. Guess I was just nervous about not having enough for the plants I did pick,

Back
Top Bottom