Low Tech Plant Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AceOfChubbz

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm restarting a plant tank & am interested in going low tech, not for sure though. The tank has been up for 4 or 5 months already but I took out all of the previous plants. Currently, I'm running a carbon-less 29g tank with 54 watt FloraSun HO T5 bulb & a 54 watt UltraSun HO T5 bulb. What plants are good & is my low tech aspiration possible?

AceOfChubbz said:
I'm restarting a plant tank & am interested in going low tech, not for sure though. The tank has been up for 4 or 5 months already but I took out all of the previous plants. Currently, I'm running a carbon-less 29g tank with 54 watt FloraSun HO T5 bulb & a 54 watt UltraSun HO T5 bulb. What plants are good & is my low tech aspiration possible?

With that much light you'll need CO2 or you may just grow an algae farm.

Low tech is Low light.

108 watts of T5HO over a 29g is High Light AFAIK.

54 watts is a 4' fixture, and 29g tanks are 30"... something literally doesn't add up here.

29g are tall enough that they sometimes wont require CO2 depending on the quality of the fixture. You should consider Excel or another carbon supplement though (it will help the plants along nicely).

I'll double check my wattage but I'm pretty sure it's 54 watts. I used the same bulbs on a 40 Breeder at one point.

My fixture is a 36" ZooMed Aquasun HO. Like you said, the tank is only 30" so I have a little extra on each side. I am guessing that I should only stick with high light plants, since it is over two watts per gallon. Regarding CO2 supplements, are the boosters better than the canisters?

Also, I should mention that I already have 4 cories, 4 rasbora, 2 honey gourami, 2 Otos, 2 Amanos, & a nerite snail. Hope none hinder my hopes of an efficient planted tank, low tech or not.

No those are great stock for planted tanks. They'll do well

AceOfChubbz said:
I'll double check my wattage but I'm pretty sure it's 54 watts. I used the same bulbs on a 40 Breeder at one point.

My fixture is a 36" ZooMed Aquasun HO. Like you said, the tank is only 30" so I have a little extra on each side. I am guessing that I should only stick with high light plants, since it is over two watts per gallon. Regarding CO2 supplements, are the boosters better than the canisters?

Also, I should mention that I already have 4 cories, 4 rasbora, 2 honey gourami, 2 Otos, 2 Amanos, & a nerite snail. Hope none hinder my hopes of an efficient planted tank, low tech or not.

Most plants enjoy high light. A few types can be "shaded" by a taller plant if needed.

Just add to your Cory and Rasboras when you can , if there is room and you'll be set.

What kind of Corys ?

39w would definitely make sense since they used to be on my 40B. Thanks for clarifying!

The cories are just albinos. I've kept Spotted & Julii before but found that the Albinos are more adventurous.

You have enough light to grow about anything you like. The next step should definitely be a co2 setup. You'll have better results with your plants and a lot less trouble with algae. Other than that, what fertilizers are you planning to use: liquid, root tabs, dry ferts?

I'm open to any suggestions for CO2 set ups & legitimate ferts. I will probably use liquid primarily but do have a few root tabs left from previous tanks. What do you all recommend?

Agreed. Using both root tabs and liquid frets is a great idea. I ran my planted tank for years successfully with regular liquid ferts, co2 and root tabs. I only recently switched to the PPS-Pro dosing method. People have success with a lot of different mixes of light, co2 ferts and tabs.

It's like baseball. You have to touch each base to get a home run. 1st = lights, 2nd = ferts, 3rd = substrate, home = co2. You hit each plate and your plants can score. Hum... Is there a 4th base in baseball? I'm so lost with sports. >_<

CorallineAlgae said:
Agreed. Using both root tabs and liquid frets is a great idea. I ran my planted tank for years successfully with regular liquid ferts, co2 and root tabs. I only recently switched to the PPS-Pro dosing method. People have success with a lot of different mixes of light, co2 ferts and tabs.

It's like baseball. You have to touch each base to get a home run. 1st = lights, 2nd = ferts, 3rd = substrate, home = co2. You hit each plate and your plants can score. Hum... Is there a 4th base in baseball? I'm so lost with sports. >_<

I'd omit substrate since its optional with many plants (or maybe make it the baseline between bases?), but I like the analogy. Home base is good plant growth lol.

Another analogy I like is the barstool one. I don't agree with it 100% but it does simplify the idea.

jetajockey said:
I'd omit substrate since its optional with many plants (or maybe make it the baseline between bases?), but I like the analogy. Home base is good plant growth lol.

Another analogy I like is the barstool one. I don't agree with it 100% but it does simplify the idea.

Barstool? I'll have to google that one as well as looking up baseball to see if there is a fourth base. Yeah, my analogy probably doesn't hold water (a pun!). Haha... It just comes along with my goofy nature. I can't escape it!

My substrate is black Petco sand; essentially, ultra fine gravel. I got a big Amazon sword in there now.

I didnt Have Much luck with sand. I didnt use it long, but I switched to a Eco Substrate and IMO Its the bees knees for a gravel. I would say my plants growth has dont much much better with it. If you really want to keep the sand tho you might be able to use eco substrate under the sand.

AceOfChubbz said:
My substrate is black Petco sand; essentially, ultra fine gravel. I got a big Amazon sword in there now.

Not much beats plant specific substrates but believe me, your substrate is fine. Put a root tab under your plants and you'll have all you need under them. As far as above, some liquid ferts and co2 would make your tank perfect. You fan buy some liquids from a shop or make them yourself from dry ferts. Either way will grou plants.

Back
Top Bottom