Low Tech Planted Tank - Need Pics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

punky

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi AA, I was wondering whether I should start doing a planted tank. I have been in the aquarium scene for 2 yrs but never did a planted tank. I am doing a 55g and was thinking about doing it low tech planted. But I don't want a few plants here and there, preferably a bit dense. Lighting will be 48W triplus. Can I use certain products instead of injected CO2?

Also can anybody post some pics of low tech tanks?

Thanks Jchillin .. what products are you using to keep those plants healthy?

Interesting jchillin .. so no CO2 just lots of light, nitrogen and potassium. By any chance can I use less light (have only 48W on 55g) and use low light plants?

That really wouldn't work well. You can get the same light strip I have. It's an All-Glass product. It would fit your tank if it's an All-Glass tank. I wouldn't recommend planting a tank that's under 1 wpg.

Just happen to have one

55gal corner with 1.8wpg

PS my son tried a 55g standard at .8wpg ....no luck. We increased him to 1.5wpg, and now he has healthy plants.

Attachments

• 0906_full_tank_852.jpg
    0906_full_tank_852.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 77
i have a 55 gal with 2 40watt NO bulbs and i have alot of success with plants. i grow various crypts and hygro species. i can tell they are growing becasue my cichlids eat all the old growth and i can clearly tell they are sprouting new leaves. this tank isnt really planted per say but when i do put plants in they grow(despite the cichlids eating them) no co2 and no ferts added.

I also have a medium light low tech tank, here is an older shot of it.

It has 72w of power compacts (10,000k) over 29 gallons. Water changes once a month (50%) I add 1tsp of equilibrium at water change, to boost the Ca and Gh for my inverts. No other ferts, no algae.
The tank has Cherry Shrimp, Black Cherry Shrimp, Nerite Snails, Nerite Limpets, Rudolf Shrimp, Honey Gouramis (wild type), peppered Cories, and a BN pleco.

This pic also has DG's which are now gone.
29-front.JPG

29-whole-tank.JPG

Impressive tanks! Thank you ppl, you make me want more plants :) Guess I have to invest in some real lighting first. Do multiple NO bulbs work well? Or do I need CF bulbs?

i built my own hood. extreamly simply to do. just go buy a double strip shop light and gut it out. screw the ballast and end caps on the inside of your own hood and away u go. very simple and very effective lighting. just make sure u buy some daylight bulbs for it. it usually less than 20 dollars for one of the lights. pm me if u need any additional help of check out the DIY forum for hoods.

Here's my 5 gallon with a 10 watt screw-in CF....grows crypts and dwarf sag just fine. I have some root tabs in the gravel and add a bit of CSM+B, phosphate and potassium once a week.

P1010236.JPG

Back
Top Bottom