Low-Tech Tanks; Can they be Beautiful?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lovin Fish

Aquarium Advice Freak
Is it possible to have the look of a High-Tech planted tank in a Low-Tech Tank without using fake plants?

I love amazing planted tanks, but really, can't afford what they require. Could you list plants that can thrive in a tank with low-medium Lighting, no Co2 injections and high oxygen levels?
I really like E. Cordifolius, E. Tenellus, E. Ozelot and E. Latifolius and read they are easier to maintain then a lot of other species. I also read that Anubias species are hardy.

Can anyone tell me what the plants are in the picture below? (most likely they require what I can't give) I love the red one and the dandelion-like one.

aquarium_plants_1.jpg

Best Plants for a low-budget aquarium

Is there anyone out there that knows which plants can make a beautiful aquarium without the use of specialty lighting and Co2 injections?

Hi, I have a planted tank and I don't consider it high tech. I grow vals, java fern, pogostemon, amazon swords and Brazilian microsword. I have two lights one which came with the tank, a 24w interpret daylight tube, and I added a cheap t8 plants and tropical bulb, using a cheap lighting fixture, the bulb and fixture total came to £30. I have used Eco-complete and root tabs, but not in abundance purely for the amazon swords. I also supplement with terra plantamin, 20ml on every 4th water change. The tabs and plantamin together cost me less than £10.

They are going crazy. I thought of co2 injection but same as you I want to keep it low tech, as I'm not rich nor have the time to worry about ph etc.

Hope this helps.

Moved to Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks.

Lighting is going to be your biggest thing, as long as you are willing to bump it up into the low-medium range, you can have a myriad of different plants without co2 injection or constant fert dosing.

My 125 has everything from different sword species, 3 types of hygro, blyxa, marsilea, various valisnera, multiple ludwigia and crypts, along with other stuff I can't remember at the moment.
I have a bunch of other planted tanks that don't have much more than dual t8 shop lights over them. I'd consider them to be in the low light range, but they still maintain the plants that are in them.

If you want a foolproof setup, start with the rhizome plants like anubias and java ferns, and then move on from there.

Yes, of course low-tech tanks can be beautiful. In my eyes, my old 10g which has since been taken down, was considered beautiful. It's all about how nicely you can aquascape and work with plants that do well in a low-tech setup. Just browse these forums and you will see many who do a nice job. Of course, you are limited with your plant options, which I think goes without saying.

I just wanted to thankyou all for your time! I wrote down the list of plants you shared, took note to browse the forum some more, and noted the lighting and other info you guys shared. ;)
:thanks:

If you go to the Planted Tank forum, there is an entire thread dedicated to pictures of member's tanks that are low light. Granted, most use fertilizers, and I do too. It's an easy way to perk up plants. But anyways, you should take a look! Many tanks are absolutely stunning.Pay attention to the lighting they are using as well as what plants they are using.
You can totally make a lush tank if you have the right plants to do it. Crypts immediately add lushness and I highly recommend them. Some nice large java ferns and anubias are also awesome.

Do you have something particular in mind? Some native plants can be grown low tech in a native tank as well. My bog is low tech, nothing but flourescent lighting; I grow a native fern, hornwort, an orchid, Forget-me-nots, duckweed, and native mint

Do you have something particular in mind? Some native plants can be grown low tech in a native tank as well. My bog is low tech, nothing but flourescent lighting; I grow a native fern, hornwort, an orchid, Forget-me-nots, duckweed, and native mint

Oh that's cool. It's like a riparium? I'd love to see one covered in moss and pitcher plants!

Oh that's cool. It's like a riparium? I'd love to see one covered in moss and pitcher plants!

Somewhat like that - if you click on the banner in my signature it will take you to the thread. I'd love to get one going with moss and pitcher plants, sundews, and venus flytraps, but so far no luck. I'm thinking I'm going to need a mister or a fogger to make it happen long term.

You certainly can have a beautiful "low-tech" tank. Some of us old timers successfully maintained beautifully planted tanks for decades before the "hi-tech" concept took hold.

Like any kind of garden, some experimentation may be in order to find out what plants work best in your situation, but I've had consistently good luck over the years with Crypts, Anubis, Jungle Val (I have deep tanks) and Amazon Swords. Most of these grow fairly slowly, which means lower maintenance.

Bunch plants can add contrasting textures and colors, which many prefer in their designs, although simply massing two or three of the above species can be very effective, just as in outdoor landscapes.

Among common bunch plants, Hygro was probably the best before it was banned, Anacharis is a reliable old favorite, Ludwigia and Water Wisteria are worth a try as they work well in some tanks (albeit not all), and Hornwort is useful to absorb excess nutrients in a newly planted set up (but can become weedy, as it grows very fast when happy).

Good luck.

Wow! That's pretty neat. I went to the thread and looked through all your pics. I have never been around a tank like yours. It's an awkward question, but since I am unfamiliar, and very curious, I need to ask you. Does the tank have a musky odor? It looks like something my brother would totally enjoy! I will have to share the link to your thread so he can check it out!
Thanks!

If you go to the Planted Tank forum, there is an entire thread dedicated to pictures of member's tanks that are low light. Granted, most use fertilizers, and I do too. It's an easy way to perk up plants. But anyways, you should take a look! Many tanks are absolutely stunning.Pay attention to the lighting they are using as well as what plants they are using.
You can totally make a lush tank if you have the right plants to do it. Crypts immediately add lushness and I highly recommend them. Some nice large java ferns and anubias are also awesome.

Thank you! I have been browsing the pictures but didn't look at the lights...I will from now on!! ;) I will be looking into crpts for sure! I am after "lush" most definetely.

Is fertilizer all you use for your plants? Or do you also use Co2 injections and high quality lights? What type of fertilzer do you find to work the best for your aquarium(s)?

You certainly can have a beautiful "low-tech" tank. Some of us old timers successfully maintained beautifully planted tanks for decades before the "hi-tech" concept took hold.

Like any kind of garden, some experimentation may be in order to find out what plants work best in your situation, but I've had consistently good luck over the years with Crypts, Anubis, Jungle Val (I have deep tanks) and Amazon Swords. Most of these grow fairly slowly, which means lower maintenance.

Bunch plants can add contrasting textures and colors, which many prefer in their designs, although simply massing two or three of the above species can be very effective, just as in outdoor landscapes.

Among common bunch plants, Hygro was probably the best before it was banned, Anacharis is a reliable old favorite, Ludwigia and Water Wisteria are worth a try as they work well in some tanks (albeit not all), and Hornwort is useful to absorb excess nutrients in a newly planted set up (but can become weedy, as it grows very fast when happy).

Good luck.

Thank you! That is a good number of species for me to look at and try out! Thanks a bunch for sharing. Also, I appreciate the side note about textures and colors. That's what I need as I am completely new to this!

Wow! That's pretty neat. I went to the thread and looked through all your pics. I have never been around a tank like yours. It's an awkward question, but since I am unfamiliar, and very curious, I need to ask you. Does the tank have a musky odor? It looks like something my brother would totally enjoy! I will have to share the link to your thread so he can check it out!
Thanks!

Thanks. No, it has enough flow that is has none of the stagnant odor smell we typically associate with standing water.

Back
Top Bottom