Low wattage???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

teagybear

Aquarium Advice Regular
So, I have a Top Fin LED light hood and I've read that it is very very low wattage. I do want to grow plants so, this may be an issue. I have another tank that doesn't need an high wattage of light, but on that tank is a 15 watt fluorescent bulb. I can easily switch that out if I had to.

Questions:

Do I switch the bulbs so I can have plants in the desired tank or do I just leave it?

Do I need to have an even higher wattage to grow plants?

Tank:

20 gal
19.5 in high x 25 in long X 12.5 in wide

Thanks in advance!!! :thanks:

Hello I can't answer your light question but I can tell you that if those dimensions are correct you actually have a 26 gallon. Just to let you know.
Good luck!

In a tank that high either of those will likely be fairly low light level. I would switch to the brighter one and grow lower light level plants such as java fern, java moss, amazon sword, bolbitis, anubias, and some crypts

Personally I would switch them out. Meaning a completely new fixture. But it really depends on the plants that you want to grow.

In a tank that high either of those will likely be fairly low light level. I would switch to the brighter one and grow lower light level plants such as java fern, java moss, amazon sword, bolbitis, anubias, and some crypts

Thank you! Will do. :)

I have said many times before. I have seen very beautiful lowlight tanks posted it here. With some nice rock work and or driftwood and use of Java fern, Anubias, and a nice lowlight Moss, you can make an awesome aqua scape. It is really a good way to get a start in planted tanks to gain some experience. From that, you will be able to evolve into more advanced plants more enjoyably and confident. Beware the dark force. (The planted side). It's addictive. OS.

I have said many times before. I have seen very beautiful lowlight tanks posted it here. With some nice rock work and or driftwood and use of Java fern, Anubias, and a nice lowlight Moss, you can make an awesome aqua scape. It is really a good way to get a start in planted tanks to gain some experience. From that, you will be able to evolve into more advanced plants more enjoyably and confident. Beware the dark force. (The planted side). It's addictive. OS.

That's true, but to stick with just the LEDs would be low even by low light standards.

Back
Top Bottom