Lowlight front plants?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Goldfish loach boy

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello guys, so I have a 29 gallon with low-med lighting, I dose with root tabs and liquid ferts once a day
I am wondering what plants make a nice foreground plant, if they carpet, look grassy, or just look like small stems forming a carpet

You can do 4 leaf clover (Marsilea quadrifolia), Micro sword- grassy like, maybe Staurogyne repens. If you do some research you can find a lot more options.

I mean 6700 k lighting, 18 watts

And I don't use liquid carbon because of the anacharis I have, it will melt
I will look into the plants you guys mentioned thanks :)

My absolute favorite low light ground cover plant is dwarf Sagittaria. I keep it in all my tanks, even high light and it carpets in all of them. Great stuff that's cheap and looks almost exactly like grass

It's on the front left in this pic

Attachments

• image-1494476580.jpg
    image-1494476580.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 110
Dwarf sag is always a good go-to. Another idea is to use stargrass, with some diligent trimming you can make it into a foreground. Not sure how the stargrass will do under that lighting, but it's an idea anyhow. I have some that stays healthy under t8 shop lights.

I have dwarf sag and anubias nana in my foreground and sag is in the process of growing into a thick carpet. It's very easy to grow and sends out runners frequently. I started with 10 plants now they have propagated to 25 in a month and a half! Anubias nana is also a very slow grower but also a decent foreground plant. Either are a good option.

Wow guys thanks for all that!

I think I'll blow getting bit Anubias nana and dwarf sag for my tank very nice, as soon as I get my sand in I'll be asking for some
Thank you :)

Crypt parva is a great low light front plant but doesn't grow very fast so ground cover would be slow. I've had 3 for a year and they aren't much bigger than when I got them even though I have moderate-high light with co2 and PPS Pro ferts.

Oh wow, I don't really care for them to grow tall, but for them to reproduce and anchor to the sand, as I am having kuhli loaches in

I can't recommend dwarf Sagittaria enough. Besides my ludwigia repens and cabomba paleoformis it's the fastest growing plant in all my tanks

Dwarf sag is a crazy plant. I'm not sure that I would recommend it in a high tech environment simply because of how invasive it can be all through the aqua scape. It really finds a niche in low medium to medium light environments. If you were so inclined, you could make an entire scape with dwarf sag and clever trimming.

I've seen some medium light Excel tanks that grew a nice lilaeopsis brasiliensis (Microsword) rug, although it can take a long time and you should really stack the deck for it.

Back
Top Bottom