"Lucky Bamboo"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Blacksteel

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey I have a quick question. I was at petco today and they had Dracaena Sanderiana or lucky bamboo for sale in one of their tanks. Then I picked up one of the petco in store plant guides and it says that these should not be planted under water. Does anyone have this in their aquarium?

I think as long as the leaves are above water it's fine, but I have the rare fakeus plants, lol, so wait for another answer.

Dracaena Sanderiana is not a true aquatic. It will rot away in a tank. It does make a good potted houseplant though.

Thanks for all the fast replys! I'll just leave it in the pot haha

i personaly used to grow bamboo and had mixed results all of wich the leaves were above water in vases. some of the stalks got mold some roots also got mold and others just witherd with their stalks constantly in water. now this was stagint water that got changed each 2 weeks will it be differnt in an aquarium that the water circulates mabye. but if you notice it starting to wither take it out and put it in a vase or cup with only roots submerged and hopefully itl perk up

See what I said? You're probably glad you waited. Sorry to give you the wrong advice, I don't know much about plants, just had seen something about bamboo several times before.

Ya lol i think it would look really cool in my tank but it's not worth the risk

if you could build a platform that raised it and made it so only the roots were submerged itd look cool assuming you dont have a top on your tank

Blacksteel said:
Ya I might think about doing that. Thanks go the idea

no prob if you could build one big enough to have mabye 2-6 stalks itd be a bamboo forest if your a diyer this project would be really easy all youd need is acrylic or plexi class a scorer to make custom lenghts and some aquarium safe silicone

Back
Top Bottom