Magnum HOT Pro system... should i buy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chriznat20@msn.

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Since ive had my 55 gallon FW set up for about a year now, I wanted to switch to a more premium filter (right now i have 2 whisper 30's)
I have been eyeing the Magnum HOT Pro System on E-Bay... is it any good? I went out on the internet and it seems everybody has a different opinion that varies wildly. Some people are 110% for it, and then there are people who think its the anti-christ.
What should I do? I really like the idea of the gravel vacuum attacing right to the filter - the ultimate convenience! Let me know because i want to start bidding :)

I had a Magnum HOT Pro system for years and it worked very well. I recently purchased a fluval 404 off of petwarehouse.com, on sale now for around $89.00. It is on the way.

The Magnum can be messy when cleaning the filters. I had water everywhere, LOL. The other thing I might mention about it is that I read somewhere that the company was trying to phase out the Magnum. I have no idea if this is true or not, but it is something to keep in mind as far as support and supplies for the future.

I hope that helps.
RodneyCK

I've been using my HOT Magnum forever...can't even remember when I got the darn thing. Bottom line...it works. Without the biowheel, it really doesn't have good biological filtration capabilities though. The Pro system will come with that though. It is a bit messy and sometimes it'll drive you to drinking trying to get the top to seal back up. Basically a good filter though. I'm not sure I would buy another one though with all the canisters that are available now. I'd be sorely tempted to go with an Eheim or a Fluval canister I think.

I don't know much about the Magnum filter but I also have a Fluval 404 and I LOVE it.
IMO it is easy to clean and you can use four different kinds of filter media in it.
It keeps my 55gal. Oscar tank spotless.
HTH

You can order the Pro 30 or Pro 60 Bio Wheel setup and run it on any canister or run it with a PH. The vacuum that comes with the HOT Magnum doesn't work all that well.

I have a HOT Magnum Bio Pro under my desk right now sitting in the box :( The HOT was It was great when it was working, but I had issues with mine to the point where I decided to stop using it. Right out of the box, my HOT had trouble with air getting into the canister. I resolved it for a while by messing with the O rings a bunch. After removing the lid once (and making a mess), I had repeated problems with the O-rings and having air get into the canister again. I did some search around, and a few other people were having similar issues, and had to keep buying new rings. Even replacement rings were not helping in my case. Not to mention that the Bio Wheel did not fit my bowfront tank correctly, and the whole setup feels very cheaply made. I think the inital problem with my HOT was the plastic moldings being screwed up from the start.

I replaced the HOT with a Eheim ECCO that has been flawless in every way. The Eheim goes together with no fuss, and has almost no failure points compared to the HOT which has many O-rings/quick connects. The quality difference between the two companies was noticable just by holding the pieces. I feel the HOT Magnums are a good idea, but have too many pieces for their own good.

When I get another tank, I am going to try the HOT Magnum again, and redo the seals with automotive O rings.

Hmm my HOT magnum only has one Oring, and two foam ruber gaskets for the diferent filter cartridges...I never experienced any issues from mine and it is 3 years old... Still works like a charm.. It sounds like you may have gotten a defective one... Sorry to hear you had problems with it... I would recommend one to anyone looking for a good HOT filter...(y)

O ring on the intake tube, a O ring on the outlet tube, a D ring that keeps the lid on, two foam circles around the filter cartridge, and then another O ring on the way into the Bio Wheel...

I would reccomend a Penguin 280 over a HOT Pro. You would has easier maintenence, less failure points, and still get the Bio Wheel. And it is cheaper :) Using the gravel vac on the Pro isn't that great, since you should be trying to get all the waste and old water OUT of the tank.

I'm using both Fluval and Eheim. I'd vote for the Eheim, but it is a little more pricey. And a little more troublesome to clean out (because on on the fluval, the shut off valves are on the lid).

As for a gravel vac going the my filter, I wouldn't want that at all. I would think it means increased maintainence, and I want that water out of my system.

Any one here use HOT Magnum with Diatom Powder? I saw several topic cover Magnum using micron filter with diatom to clean out the water, but have anyone done this with the HOT Magnum?

Back
Top Bottom