Major Problem! Help Please Fast!! -- Red Arrowhead plant

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BolivianRams

Aquarium Advice Regular
Okay so I just went to the lfs and got two new plants. One is an amazon sword and the other one is Red arrowhead plant (Regina Red). I came home and researched the arrowhead and turned out the plant is not truly aquatic and should not be submerge underwater for long?? Some say the leaves are toxic to fish. Is this true? What should I do with the arrowhead? Take it out?

Also, I've also purchased a pack of root tabs for my plants. I put 5 tablets under each of the five plants in my aquarium. My question is, is this too much ? Too much iron? Will it harm fish? Will it create algae?

Help Please thanks!! :confused:

What tankmates are in the tank?
As long as you dont have fish that will chomp on a leaf, you'll be fine....for a couple of days.
If it isnt truly aquatic it won't last long, you could just take it out right now and pot it in dirt, to avoid absolutely anything.
Most plants that arent truly aquatic could be toxic to your fish over time... but shouldnt affect anyone unless its eaten!
Any chance for a picture of this plant?? :D

I would return the plant if possible, or plant it in a terrarium where it belongs.

There are lots of non-aquatics being sold, esp. in the chain pet stores. They just slowly rot & pollute the water. You pretty much have to do your research before buying anything & never trust any of the lfs .... :( <I am sure there are exceptions, but I haven't found one.>

Also, you have a small tank with low light. The sword is not necessarily that suitable, as they need more light than you have. Depending on your substrate, root tabs or ferts may or may not be needed in a low light tank. But 5 may be overkill in a 16 gal, esp. if you use the big tabs meant for ponds! :)

Ah thanks I will remove the plant right now, as for the swords are all species like that? Because mines seems to be doing fine. There's a small school of green flame tetras and a mated pair of bolivian rams in there. The tabs I used are small ones that comes with 10 tablets.

One of the tablet is like dissolving above water and it's making my tank cloudy, will this disappear over time? It's just iron right? Non-harmful to fish?

What plants can you recommend me to buy? I like big bushy leaves because I want my fish to spawn on it. But I'm open for anything, prefer fast growing plants though.

If anyone have plants that they are throwing away because of overgrowing, I would love to have some!

Depends on what sword you have .... This is a link to some of them:
PlantGeek.net - Plant Guide

Make sure you don't have the Brazilian sword - that is another non-aquatic & will die in a few months under water.

Almost all swords need medium to high light, or they will slowly wither away. You can try them in your tank if you like, but results may be disappointing.

What root tabs you have? Most are "complete" ferts, so have N, P, K + traces (Iron included). Not really harmful to fish (unless you really overdose - the nitrates (N) may cause problems), but if you get it dissolving in the water, the excess nutrients might give you algae problem. I'd push it back down into the gravel.

For your light level, I would suggest Crypts for the big bushy look. Anubias, Java ferns are other big leafed plants worth trying.
PlantGeek.net - Plant Guide

With low light, you are not going to get fast growth ... perhaps some stem plants may suit you - eg hygrophilias or hornwort. <My hornwort is the fastest grower - about an inch a day.>

Try posting (& browsing) the barter & buy & sell forums for plant trimmings. <BTW - post your city/location so people know if shipping or pickup is worthwhile.>

Oh thank you so much! That's really helpful I will definitely look into those plants. I think I have the Echinodorus bleheri and Melon sword. So far 8 leaves on each. The crypts looks really cool I think I'll get that. The Java ferns looks cool too.

My root tabs are from API, although I'll look into flourish soon. Plus I'll save up for new lighting/CO2 system possibly, still new to the plants thing.

I live at:
151 Drake Ave.
Sausalito, CA. 94965

Back
Top Bottom