Maracyn 5-Day Log (treating cyanobacteria)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lmw80

Aquarium Advice Addict
As those of you know who have read my post regarding blue-green algae, aka cyanobacteria, I have decided to try treating it with Maracyn (erythromycin). My original post can be seen here: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=14909&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Interest was expressed to me how everything goes, so I have decided to do a 5-day log, as the medicine is administered for 5 days.

Day 1:
Medicine put in tank at 7:00pm EST.
I have a 10 gallon tank with a penguin mini biowheel filter. Since the cartridge is approximately 2 weeks old, the activated carbon should not be very effective anymore, and so I left the filter pad in. I did however, remove the bio-wheel itself (a suggestion on the manufacturer's website). This will ensure that if the medicine disturbes any biological filtration in may tank during treatment, it will be quickly restored when the biowheel is placed back in the filter. The bio-wheel needs to be kept moist, so I wrapped it in a wet paper towel and put it in a plastic bag. I will check on this daily and re-moisten the paper towel if necessary.
The medicine has only been in the tank for an hour and fifteen minutes, so there are no changes at this time.

That's what I thought as well, if you click the link to my original post, you will see people talking about erythromycin (maracyn ingredient) killing off cyanobacteria.

Yeah, erythromycin is the last ditch effort for treating cyanobacteria (blue-green algae) when everything else fails William. Its still a bacteria, so the antibiotic should help.

You didn't mention that you cleaned as much cyano as you could out of the tank before medicating. If you haven't done so yet, it would be a good idea, or you'll be cleaning strands of stinky dead cyano out of the tank.

I'm sorry, shawmutt, I did not think to put that in my post, thank you for bringing that up.

Yes, I had removed the large gooey, icky, smelly cyano bunches from my tank.

Good luck, Lori... I really think this will help, though. It wiped it out in my tanks, for sure.

Day 2 (which was yesterday, but I didn't get a chance to get to the computer)
2nd tablet put in at 6:30 EST
There is no foam on the waterline as of yet. There is also definitly no more cyano starting. I will remove the cyano I do see tonight.
Fish are fine, their appetites are also fine.

Day 3
3rd tablet put into tank at 6:30pm EST
No more cyano has grown, no foam.
The cyano I did remove still had the distinct smell though...does this mean it's not dead?

Mine was still stinky even after the antibiotic treatment.

I could even smell it in the tankwater until I did a big water change. I think it makes the water smell bad, too. :x

Day 4
Tablet put in tank at 6:30pm EST
no changes to report except a very slighty cloudy look to the water

Oh my goodness, I never put day 5 in here.

Day 5
Medicine was put into tank early cause I had a Devil's game to go to after work :twisted:

I have done a 50% water change since the medicine...my tank smells like plants again, not like rotton cucumbers (woo-hoo!!), and I see no signs of cyanobacteria! Double woo-hoo! No, make that a triple woo-hoo!!

Thanks for those who suggested Macaryn...I am so glad my long battle with cyano is finally over, sigh :)

Glad it worked for you, Lori! :D It definitely did the trick for me.

None of us like to put unnecessary antibiotics in their tank, but this stuff CAN'T be good for the fish to be exposed to long term. When all else fails, Maracyn works.

Fortunately, when you have live plants, there is a little less worry about killing off the biofilter with antibiotics. The plants help keep things in balance.

Where does this stuff originate? I had it once and I had to tear down my 10 gallon twice to get rid of it. Maracyn slowed it down, but it didnt seem happy until I had to replant everything and use all new water. After I upgraded to c02, it went away and I havent seen it since.

I'm sure its one of those things that just develops, just like the good bacteria in our tanks. In my case, though, I know it came from some infected cabomba. I wasn't familiar with the smell and stuck it in my tank anyway (and didn't disinfect it sufficiently).

I walked by a different PetsMart a month or so after I finally got rid of my cyano problem (and tossed the cabomba!). Out of curiosity, I sniffed the cabomba tank and--phew! Definitely infected.

I suspect they must have had a few bad batches there for a while. Last time I was there, it wasn't stinky anymore.

Thanx lmw; been following the thread to see what happened. I've read about the antibiotic tx, but hadn't read a thread anywhere which detailed the day to day results. You might want to do a write-up about it for the article section!

I have done this my self in the past and I always cut the dose in half and it works like a charm. Best solution for blue-green algea ever.

Maybe I will write an article, allivymar....good idea. I also forgot to put in that before I did my water change (the bio-wheel had been back in the tank for 2 days before I did the water change) I tested the water. All my levels were fine - nitrAte was a little high, but nothing major.

Back
Top Bottom