Marimo Ball

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KentCurtis

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just bought a marimo ball today in a fish store not far from home. Its probably about +/- 2 inches in diameter. At what size should I consider breaking this marimo ball up? Or should I just leave it be and it will handle splitting itself?

I would say let it get atleast double in size before splitting.

Make sure every once in awhile you turn the ball so the bottom doesn't get a brown spot.

It could easily take several years to double in size.

I don't think you should split it by yourself. I tried it on a smaller, and healthy one of mine and it didn't work too well. This was several months ago and now the pieces are nearly all dead.

You should rinse it out every time you do a water change and squeeze it in your palm just as you would a tennis ball. Do this several times in clean water and put it back in the tank.

Not a planted person here so bear with me.. Do they consume nitrate? If so, is that part of the benefits , nitrate consumption?

From what I've heard, marimo balls are "nutrient hogs" and that includes nitrates, which is a benefit if you want to look at it that way. Also, I'm under the assumption that these are actually algae and not plants so to speak. Goldfish love them and will devour them if kept in the same tank. They also prefer cooler water and they will move around the tank if the lighting is strong enough to make it "pearl".

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom