marimo moss and snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smomus

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have, in my main tank some Marimo moss. I would like to take some and move it to 2 smaller tanks. The problem is that in my main tank I have little Malaysian trumpet snails. I do not want these snails in the smaller tanks and have seen them all over the moss before. Is there a way (I know there is, just can't remember what) I can treat the moss to be sure there are no snails and/or eggs?

I would actually just get a little bucket of used tank water and squeeze the moss out in that. If there are any snails in it, you should be able to feel them and remove them. I wouldn't treat it with anything in a bottle.

jetajockey said:
MTS are livebearing so there's no eggs to deal with. One of the problems with treating marimo is that you'll probably kill it, since it's a form of algae.

Oh yes I knew that! Ha!
So probably my best option would be leaving it in a cup of water for a few days and hopefully if there is any they will come out? I did like LyndaB suggested and squeezed all the water out, swished it around some to. Didn't feel/find any but some of those buggers can be tiny!

Back
Top Bottom