Marimo Moss Ball

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sabercat

Aquarium Advice Regular
How easy are these to care for? How much light do they require? How many do you recommend getting for a lightly planted 12 gallon tank?

They are pretty easy to care for. They can get by in ambient room light, and you can put several in there as long as they are all getting light and aren't shading one another.

Sorry, I didn't see this until after I had posted my question about my moss balls. I ordered some that came from the UK and got them today. They look really nice.

Mine are beautiful! I can't believe how nice and green and big they are.

I think I read that the brown spots come from them not getting moved around for awhile. I bet it goes away if you leave the brown spot up.

I have seen a very few comments that they will 'spread' in the tank, i.e. and can be problematic.
Is this really true?
Sabercat~ I would guess it depends on how large the specimens are and how much open space you have on the substrate as to how many to use.

This is mine that I picked up, I do not believe that they will "spread" like algae would do.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1389226998.887315.jpg

Very nice. I have 3 in my tank and I really like them. How often do you rinse your off and roll them?

Very nice. I have 3 in my tank and I really like them. How often do you rinse your off and roll them?

That was actually going to be one of my next questions. It has a little brown on one side and it has not risen to the top yet. Is this unusual for a Marimo? And how do I care for it?

That was actually going to be one of my next questions. It has a little brown on one side and it has not risen to the top yet. Is this unusual for a Marimo? And how do I care for it?

I don't believe they're supposed to go to the top of the tank, but sit on the bottom. If they float, I think that that are "fake" and Styrofoam covered in moss, but not the real deal. The brown spot is probably where it sat for an extended period of time on the bottom and wasn't rolled around. I don't think you need to much of anything other than take them out and rinse them off once and awhile, and roll them around to avoid the brown spots from developing.

I don't believe they're supposed to go to the top of the tank, but sit on the bottom. If they float, I think that that are "fake" and Styrofoam covered in moss, but not the real deal. The brown spot is probably where it sat for an extended period of time on the bottom and wasn't rolled around. I don't think you need to much of anything other than take them out and rinse them off once and awhile, and roll them around to avoid the brown spots from developing.

I know that if they float all the time, then they are not the real deal but, I am talking about them floating to release excess oxygen and I was told that they float and follow the sun across the tank. Didn't know it that was true.

I have seen a very few comments that they will 'spread' in the tank, i.e. and can be problematic.
Is this really true?
Sabercat~ I would guess it depends on how large the specimens are and how much open space you have on the substrate as to how many to use.
There are things you can do to try and get them to spread, I've seen pieces of driftwood covered in marimo sell for a fine price, but it won't spread on it's own, atleast I've never seen it happen.

Typically they only float initially, sometimes I will sort of hold them down with a piece of wood or whatever until they a ready to stay at the bottom on their own. I've only seen them float when initially added to the tank.

There are things you can do to try and get them to spread, I've seen pieces of driftwood covered in marimo sell for a fine price, but it won't spread on it's own, atleast I've never seen it happen.

Typically they only float initially, sometimes I will sort of hold them down with a piece of wood or whatever until they a ready to stay at the bottom on their own. I've only seen them float when initially added to the tank.

Yes, I stuck mine in the forks of the branches of my manzanita until they would stay down. I think they're really nice.

Hey....this is kind of an old post, but I have Marimo...if they float they might have air trapped in them. You can give them a little squeeze to release the air and they will sink. I roll mine with the siphon hose when I change the water or with my long tweezers. I take them out of the tank and give them a little swish in the dirty tank water when they have too much gunk on them or rinse them in some fresh dechlorinated water if they are really dirty and you can squeeze them gently to clean them too. So far all of mine are great. Happy looking little things I love them.

Back
Top Bottom