Marimo Moss Balls

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ian086

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi. I am currently setting up a 29g planted tank(which I have a thread build for). I built a wall from sand stone. I want to add some kind of moss to it. I want some moss to cover parts of the wall, between the gaps. I need moss that is like the moss you'd see on a garden wall, short, like hair rather than leaves. I am thinking of using Marimo Balls. I realise Marimo Balls are actually an algae rather than a moss but they are more like the look that I am after. My question is, can I cut on of these up really small(in tiny pieces) and attach it to the wall with glue gel. When I say small, I mean 1/2 to 1cm in size, possible even smaller. Will it survive??. I don't need it to grow, just not to die!!!
Any other suggestions of a type of moss I could use welcome....Ian

Cutting is how they are split so I don't see a problem with it. That rock work is going to look amazing with it on there

Sent from my VS950 4G using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I read somewhere that they only grow very very slowly so it may take a long time to spread and look good . Post pics when your done

Yes they do grow slow but if Ian puts all those little pieces of marimo moss balls down, they should cover the wall faster.

Just curious about the blender method
Do you mix with a bit of water to make a paste? How does it stay on the wood or rock you want it to grow on?

Just curious about the blender method
Do you mix with a bit of water to make a paste? How does it stay on the wood or rock you want it to grow on?

I'm curious about this as well. I have seen this method used with terrestrial mosses...mix with unflavored yogurt and spread on rocks and other decor (this is for a terrarium). But since it is not in water, the mixture won't float away.

Oh ya I forgot to mention you let it take hold outside of water for a few weeks... Lightly misting with water when it stats to dry out...

Ian where is your thread at? That link takes me to something completely different then What it says. Talks about curing live rock

Ian where is your thread at? That link takes me to something completely different then What it says. Talks about curing live rock

Sorry Andrew. I just copied and pasted the address, I guess that doesn't work. It's on page 1 in the planted section. The rock picture is #154....

I don't have a few weeks!!!. I will be starting my build next week. I WANT it to grow super slow and not really spread. I'm just going to put small pieces here and there on the wall. Guys/Gals, please join my journey. I need all the advice I can get...lol. I want to achieve a look like this......(post 154)
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f24/ian086s-29g-planted-tank-build-301028-7.html

Then just take a pair of sharp scissors/knife and cut the balls into tiny pieces. Tie them to the rocks with fishing line or thread and they should attach and start spreading. They will actually spread at a medium pace if they have the nutrients they like.

Then just take a pair of sharp scissors/knife and cut the balls into tiny pieces. Tie them to the rocks with fishing line or thread and they should attach and start spreading. They will actually spread at a medium pace if they have the nutrients they like.
Is it possible to glue the pieces on. It could be very tricky to tie them on.....

Back
Top Bottom