marimo moss tree

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

liberator123

Aquarium Advice Activist
hi, i was wondering if marimo moss balls would survive if you break it in pieces and string attach to driftwood? or do they have to be in clump ball shaped to thrive? i wanted to make a driftwood tree for aquascaping, but i dont have any small plants except a marimo moss ball. has anyone tried this? how? thanks

I know that it can be done (examples here and here), but unsure about the difficulty or, more likely, the speed at which it will happen. There are a multitude of better mosses for what you are trying to do in my opinion. Google through some pictures of peacock moss, christmas moss, and flame moss, and tell us what you think.

Here s my experience with that..... I put Christmas moss on my DW..... Hated it. Bought a moss ball, cut it into five custom fit peices & sewed it on with nylon thread. Love it.

image-1347639281.jpg

into my 10 gallon and sort of look like a tree. Sadly only 1 was available. Its "sorta" thick for what I was trying to do, but I didnt have much choice. I threaded the marimo with a black sewing thread (was this a mistake? should I have used a fishing thread?). This is my result. I hope they will grow (I read that these grow very very slow).
BTW, Rodeo, that dw with marimo looks great! wish i could have found 1 that looks like that.
Also, Im not done with designing this aquarium. Planning to add more sand, rocks, gravel, plants, and a dried bamboo design on the right side.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    204.3 KB · Views: 194
  • image(1).jpg
    image(1).jpg
    222.8 KB · Views: 135
hmm, my lighting in the tank kinda makes the water look cloudy from pictures. So i turned it off and I got this.

Attachments

• image(2).jpg
    image(2).jpg
    251.4 KB · Views: 115
Back
Top Bottom