Marineland double bright LED lights

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I checked these lights out from Marineland and they are not strong leds. You need to get 3W CREE LED units. They have a better PAR rate, I use CREE leds 50W and its great. I have a fully planted tank.. just working to sort out some alge issues due to lack of CO2. My fish are happy and the shimmer effect is great.

coodex said:
I checked these lights out from Marineland and they are not strong leds. You need to get 3W CREE LED units. They have a better PAR rate, I use CREE leds 50W and its great. I have a fully planted tank.. just working to sort out some alge issues due to lack of CO2. My fish are happy and the shimmer effect is great.

In a small planted tank or even a medium one without co2 that ammount of light would be disastrous. Let's get more info from the OP about his setup and what he's hoping to grow before assuming he needs ultra high light LEDs.

Becides that, I want to check out your tank. If you're able to control and use that much light long term I'd love to see the results.

It's a 75g. I'm not going for a super heavily planted tank just a couple placed around the tank. What are some easy to care for that will do well in low light? If there are any haha

I'd be surprised if a double bright could grow plants in a 75. Probably anubias and Java fern tied to wood or rock. The usable light at the substrate would be prohibitively low.

Get this... I'm running two Marineland 17 inch hidden LEDs and a 36inch single bright LED and my plants ... Which include Amazon Swords ... are growing both in height and new growth. Did I mention it's a 75gal? By all accounts my plants should have no business growing with what the PAR values say is very low light, but it's happening.

Certainly java ferns, crypts and Anubias should grow with a double bright LED.

jcolon said:
Get this... I'm running two Marineland 17 inch hidden LEDs and a 36inch single bright LED and my plants ... Which include Amazon Swords ... are growing both in height and new growth. Did I mention it's a 75gal? By all accounts my plants should have no business growing with what the PAR values say is very low light, but it's happening.

Certainly java ferns, crypts and Anubias should grow with a double bright LED.

That's good to hear. Do you have mostly tall plants growing or do have some shorter plants that are also doing well? I know it isn't always possible to post pics but it'd be nice to see plants growing under Marineland LEDs in a full sized tank.

CorallineAlgae said:
That's good to hear. Do you have mostly tall plants growing or do have some shorter plants that are also doing well? I know it isn't always possible to post pics but it'd be nice to see plants growing under Marineland LEDs in a full sized tank.

Looked at the pictures on your profile and I have to say your tank looks awesome!

abrinn23 said:
Looked at the pictures on your profile and I have to say your tank looks awesome!

Thank you. I recently did a complete rescape of the whole thing. Just tossed a bunch of crypts about an hour ago actually. It looks very different now. Changed the 2xT5 light out for a single 20watt LED floodlight yesterday. My camera takes lousy pictures but I still should update the pics. Pulling so many of the crypts out by the roots clouded up the tank so it'll have to be another day to update it. My crazy Eastern American newt pulls up nearly all my glosso, too. He's cooler than the plant so I'll have to try something different for ground cover. *sigh*

Here's a link to a thread on someone's 100gal. I posted a July pic of my 75gal, by then my LED's have been on my tank for a couple of months.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f70/my-100gal-freshwater-community-tank-216743.html

Here's one from A year ago(scroll down)
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f19/pics-of-my-barbs-157288-2.html ... I was running a single 6500k daylight T8 bulb.

I'll try to get a current pic in a few minutes.

Here's a pic I just took .... Though you can't tell real well, an amazon sword's by the right front area's grown and the Amazon swords behind have new growth.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    254.5 KB · Views: 134
Wow, that's an impressive tank! I love all the barbs. Those lights certainly get the job done for your selection of plants. Thanks for posting the great full tank shot. :)

abrinn23 said:
Now we just need to see yours!

I'll definitely post some! I don't want to hijack this thread though. I wanted abrinn23 to get an idea about how well plants can grow in a 75 under Marineland LEDs. I know you have different light fixtures from abrinn23 but you have the same brand and tank size. I thought low light plants might survive with his fixture and they certainly do with yours. I think we can extrapolate that with his double bright LED he has a shot at growing some plants.

Wow, that's an impressive tank! I love all the barbs. Those lights certainly get the job done for your selection of plants. Thanks for posting the great full tank shot. :)

Thank you, my Denisons are my second favorite of the fish in my tank. My green TB's are still my favorite.

I don't know if I'm lucky or if the plant gods are on my side, but certainly my plants are doing fine. My newest Anubius is almost done sprouting a new leaf, and another just did so a week back. Anubius has to almost be the ideal aquarium plant. They're tough, fish don't generally like nibbling on them and the different species offer you various size and shaped leaves.

Back
Top Bottom