Marineland Freshwater Planted LED

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GoldsGuy

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi, I currently have the stock LED lights on my 55 gallon tank which came with the aquarium.
I've planted low-light plants, but the stock LEDs aren't sufficient, but the plants have been doing well actually. Growing, etc.
I went to the Marineland website to research getting better LEDs and saw they had a post that they were coming out with a freshwater planted LED light system with timer in the spring of 2012.
Has anyone heard more information on this? Total wattage? Different models? Costs?
Of is there someone from Marineland on Aquarium-Advice that cares to give more information on when available, etc??
Thanks

I'm also interested in these lights. I'm been looking into the double bright LEDs from marineland, but the option of separate timers for night/day is too appealing to not wait for.

collegelife101 said:
I'm also interested in these lights. I'm been looking into the double bright LEDs from marineland, but the option of separate timers for night/day is too appealing to not wait for.

Yeah. I only see this referenced in response to comments on their website. Nothing specific other than ideal for all FW plant requirements.

I know FW plants require different wavelengths than reef tanks.

Hope they release some information and pricing info soon.

I have a Marineland LED light on my 20g high tank, and it's worked pretty well.

I, too, would love to know more about this new light. I have separate timers that my lights are plugged into, but am always keeping an eye out for replacements.

James_in_MN said:
I have a Marineland LED light on my 20g high tank, and it's worked pretty well.

I, too, would love to know more about this new light. I have separate timers that my lights are plugged into, but am always keeping an eye out for replacements.

According to Marineland customer service comments it will have timers for all on, blue on and off.

If anyone speaks with Marineland directly regarding when this will be available. Let us all know.

I have the standard kit which came with my tank. I have low-light plants and they are doing well. But know they would do better with a FW led. As they are a bit leggy.

There is actually some more specific information if you dig through the Q&A.

marinelane.com said:
Hello and thank you for your inquiry. Actually, we have two brand new lights coming out in spring 2012. One is specifically for freshwater planted tanks, and one is a new updated reef capable light. Both will have built in timers that will allow you to independently set the white and blue lights. If all goes well and the schedule stays as is set now, you should see them hitting the market in April, sometime.

Regards,
BREX

So we will possibly see these in 2 months, there will be a reef one and planted freshwater one and they will both have integrated timers.
I've never used onboard timers for lights. Anyone know how friendly/easy to use they are?

There is actually some more specific information if you dig through the Q&A.

So we will possibly see these in 2 months, there will be a reef one and planted freshwater one and they will both have integrated timers.
I've never used onboard timers for lights. Anyone know how friendly/easy to use they are?

I actually just got off the phone with Marineland and spoke with a rep who actually has a planted tank and told me she's usually the one who responds on the Marineland forums. She informed me that the lights will be shipping April 1. They were initially going to ship March 1, but got pushed back. She said they have the spectrum needed for plants with red and blue lights (as well as the white). And the LEDs will be 3 watt LEDs and not the 1 watt. They didn't have pricing info, but specualated they would be a bit more than current double bright LEDs, but less than the reef capable LEDs.

She will try to have them post some information on their website on the new lights.

Sounds like these will definitely be the lights to have if you have FW planted. I have golds so, the LEDs will definitely not heat the water.

Well they posted the specs for the light, though no price yet. I guess it hasn't shipped to retailers.

http://www.marineland.com/sites/marineland/products/Detail.aspx?id=4653

Still, pretty exciting!

Edit---

Here is a site that lists them with prices
http://www.petsolutions.com/C/Aquarium-LED-Lighting/I/Aquatic-Plant-LED-Lighting-System.aspx

$189.99 for 18" to $459.99 for 48". Wowzas. Though this could still be speculative pricing, it wouldn't surprise me if they ended up somewhere in that range.

Last edited:
Yeah the Marineland site says available sometime in May. Was originally March, but been pushed back a couple of times. Hope for production and not other reasons.

With regard to pricing that will be based on individual third-party retail pricing. I'm hoping Amazon carries it as their pricing is usually better.

Marineland only states should be around costs of the reef capable LEDs.

Back
Top Bottom