May be a dumb question...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joeysdiscus

Aquarium Advice Freak
What actually does bubbles per second mean??? I mean how do you count how many bubbles are coming out in a single second???

Does the amount of bubbles per second matter? Lol. Definitely not a dumb question... im interested in a response too

it does, you want the right amount of BPS to have enough c02 for the plants but not too much were you will kill your fish. c02 will change the PH of your water and if its too high, your PH will drop

This is my spare bubble counter. As you can see the bubbles coming out of the small tube. That what you count so you know how many bubbles are coming out. So if there is not enough co2 increase the amount of bps

ForumRunner_20130519_005742.jpg

Bubbles per second is mainly to get you in the ballpark so you can start fine tuning co2 levels per drop checker....

An easier way to count BPS is to set a minute timer and count the bubbles per minute. Then, well, divide by 60... ;)

Last edited:
Okay I get it now I just couldn't understand how the human brain could count four or five bubbles in a single second haha so I've worked mine out and its running at three bubbles per second does that sound about right for a 300l tank here's a pic so you can see how many plants and all...

image-2881060869.jpg

You should get a drop checker... It gives you a visual of about how much co2 concentration you have in the water.

Awesome looking tank, by the way. Love the discus! :)

You should get a drop checker... It gives you a visual of about how much co2 concentration you have in the water.

Awesome looking tank, by the way. Love the discus! :)

Thanks and thank you for your help. Il go grab one on my day off on Wednesday cheers again! Will it be alright to leave it as it is until then or shall I turn it down a touch just incase??? One more thing (I promise) do I need displacement on the water surface or should it be dead still???

There should be some surface movement, just not too crazy, especially since you don't really know your co2 levels. Just keep an eye on those expensive fish and make sure they're not gasping for air! :)

There should be some surface movement, just not too crazy, especially since you don't really know your co2 levels. Just keep an eye on those expensive fish and make sure they're not gasping for air! :)

Yeah no worries will do thanks for all the help I'm gunna turn it down simply because couple days of plants lacking co2 doesn't compare to the discus lacking oxygen lol cheers again billy!

Back
Top Bottom