maybe a stupid question about lighting....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

Hi

I have 2 20 H and 1 29 gal semi planted tanks with standard T8 lighting.

I also have a bunch of left over halogen under counter lighting pods. Each puts out 20 watts.

They would fit easily into my lighting strips.

would this be safe? would it work? would it give me decent ligthing?

the halogen lights will fit into the standard fixture? that seems odd. the main thing u need to look for is the k rating of the lamps. if they are between 6500 -10 000 k then they should be ok. and also watch out for the heat. some of the halogen lams can get real hot. as long as the water cant get to them and they dont get to hot and they are the right k raqting then u are set!! lol

Halogen is an incandescent type bulb. Therefor it's extremely strong in the reds and may just cause algae blooms. I would not recommend any "filiment" based bulbs.

Halogen lights operate similar to incandescent lights. They are more efficient than incandecent lights but must run at a higher temperature to do this. This being the case, they are usually a bad choice of lighting indoors. In fact, they are banned from many college dormitories because they've been known to cause fires. I think they'd fry your tank.

I was able to keep java fern alive with a big halogen bulb, but since its about the lowest of low light plants....

you get the picture :)

Back
Top Bottom