Melting crypts and algae. Help!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dabunch88

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, I need help. I’m new to aquariums and am trying to figure out what I have done wrong. I have what were sold to me as low maintenance plants that wouldn’t need fertilizer, CO2, or high lighting (I was told the light that I had would be sufficient, I included a picture of the information on the light). An anubias nana petite attached to drift wood, a tall crypt (spiralis), a little bush like crypt (Undulata), a marimo moss ball, and several stalks of water wee(elodea or anacharis).

The nana petite on the driftwood was added to the tank on March 10th, the moss ball was added on March 17th, the two crypts were added March 18th, and the water weed was added March 24th. All of the plants were in tanks at the store when I bought them.

I started to notice some browning and yellowing in the leaves of the Undulata along with some holes in the nana petite shortly after getting them all planted. I went out and bought some easy green liquid fertilizer and root tabs and put three tabs in, near to each plant with roots in the substrate, and did a dose of liquid. That was a little over two weeks ago , so there’s been three liquid doses. I see tons of growth in the weed, that guy actually looks pretty good, and some new grown in the tall crypt. Nothing new seems to be happening with the nana, but I’m not sure that’s surprising since apparently it’s a very slow grower, but it does have some black hair algae growing on it now. The Undulata is “melting” constantly, it’s leaves are turning yellow and then becoming see through and disintegrating. I can also see green film like algae on the glass of the tank and brown looking stuff on the mermaid decoration. I put some water in a white cup to see if it was green but it looked more like a light yellow/brown.

I don’t have CO2 set up, I’m not even really sure what all that is or involves. It seems complicated when I try and search it and I’m not sure I want to fool all that. I was told the fish would provide CO2 for the type of plants I have. I get lots of bubbles from the flow on my two filters, again, I was told this would be sufficient to oxygenate the water. I leave the light on for like 10 hours.

I have 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and between 40-80 nitrate. I do water changes once or twice a week, depending on my Nitrate levels.

I think that’s all the information you would need, but I’m new at all this so please ask if you need any more. Sorry this is so long, I tried watching some YouTube videos and asking questions there and never received any answers.

Questions: Why is the Undulata melting so much? Do I need CO2 now that I’m adding ferts? Should I stop adding ferts? What should I do about the BB and green film algae? Have I done anything glaringly wrong???

Attachments

• 8EA6D2F8-328B-46BF-93DA-92F6631FC3D0.jpg
    8EA6D2F8-328B-46BF-93DA-92F6631FC3D0.jpg
    157 KB · Views: 67
So it looks like your plants are new. So with all aquarium plants, they will look worse before they look better. With shipping and handling out of the water to an entirely new tank set up with possible entirely new parameters, the plants go into a shock stage. This is normal as it is the plants adapting to there new environment. Just be patient and keep an eye for any new growth. That us how you k ow they are still alive.
So for plants, your lights are on a really long time if they are truly on for 10-12 hours a day. Scale it back to 8 max. Algae is a common problem for new planted tanks as trying to get the water equalized and everything going at a smooth constant rate takes time. Nature tends to do what it wants and takes its time.

I am no means an expert but i have had planted tanks for a while now. Im sure someone with a bit more experience could chime in with more advice or point out something i didnt.

A few more questions to possibly help get an idea of whats going on. How many fish are in this tank?
How big is the tank and how long has it been established?
What is your substrate?
What fertilizer, liquid CO2 do you use?

So it looks like your plants are new. So with all aquarium plants, they will look worse before they look better. With shipping and handling out of the water to an entirely new tank set up with possible entirely new parameters, the plants go into a shock stage. This is normal as it is the plants adapting to there new environment. Just be patient and keep an eye for any new growth. That us how you k ow they are still alive.
So for plants, your lights are on a really long time if they are truly on for 10-12 hours a day. Scale it back to 8 max. Algae is a common problem for new planted tanks as trying to get the water equalized and everything going at a smooth constant rate takes time. Nature tends to do what it wants and takes its time.

I am no means an expert but i have had planted tanks for a while now. Im sure someone with a bit more experience could chime in with more advice or point out something i didnt.

A few more questions to possibly help get an idea of whats going on. How many fish are in this tank?
How big is the tank and how long has it been established?
What is your substrate?
What fertilizer, liquid CO2 do you use?
Hi,

I have 6 fish, one is a fry who will be re-homed soon, and 2 snails. Ten gallon with gravel and has been cycled for about a month. I don’t use CO2 and use Easy Green all in one liquid fertilizer and root tabs.

Back
Top Bottom