Melting Moneywort

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

src

Aquarium Advice Freak
This is a strange one. I've heard of anachris and val's melting, but not moneywort. I'm cylcing my 125, and was adding some Flourish (not excel) just to give the plants some nutrients to work with. Within 4-5 days, the moneywort melted.

The plants are all in the EC substrate, have low light (until I finish my canopy today), but had good direct sunlight part of the day (I know, algae). The anacrhis, hornwort and wisteria all seem moderately OK, but the moneywort was decimated. I don't mind losing the plants that much - I never intended on keeping a lot of it, and just had it in there as a cheap nutrient sink for the cycle. But not knowing what caused this is disturbing.

I suspect that it was either not enough light, or insufficient NO3 and/or PO4 if the direct sunlight was enough to boost your lighting level.

src - my moneywort did the same thing - just melted away. But I had the temp up (ick treatment) so I thought that might be it. What temp is your tank (we can test the theory LOL)

OK, thanks for the info. Looks like moneywort requires higher light than I can provide right now. The good news is that my canopy is 90% complete. Tomorrow I sand and paint, Tuesday I install the lights, so by Wednesday, I'll have 300W of PC lighting (from AHSupply) over my tank, which should put me close to the "high" end of the lighting spectrum. Pictures to follow in the DIY section - I'm really happy with the way the canopy turned out.

Back
Top Bottom