Melting plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mixer

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok so I put so e plants in my tank started it cycling, and then came upon some anacharis plants so I added them, my original plants are ok, but the Anacharis seem to be either dying or just melting away (see pic). I have DIY Co2, and two CFL at 13 watts each of 5000k lighting, it is a 10 gallon tank.

Oh, and the tank is dirt ( organic choice) with natural rock on top.

So should I remove them? Are they dead? Should I just leave them alone? Any help would be great.

Attachments

• image-4074658226.jpg
    image-4074658226.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 122
  • image-3095990614.jpg
    image-3095990614.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 113
  • image-3225213059.jpg
    image-3225213059.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 118
The one in the second picture seems to be coming back though... it's got a lot of green in the top. If you do toss them, keep about 2" of the top of that one and plant it.. It may just come back around.

They seem to be dying from the base up
I am wondering if they came with rubber bands and lead around the bases and those are still in place and strangling them
Whenever I buy shrimp they throw a small piece of a bunch plant into the bag so the shrimp have something to hold onto
I let those little pieces of plant float on the surface until they are big enough to plant
If death seems imminent you might want to trim off the really dead parts and float the rest to see if they will revive

Agree with all above.

You arent dosing excel are you?

Last edited:
kc2ped said:
They seem to be dying from the base up
I am wondering if they came with rubber bands and lead around the bases and those are still in place and strangling them
Whenever I buy shrimp they throw a small piece of a bunch plant into the bag so the shrimp have something to hold onto
I let those little pieces of plant float on the surface until they are big enough to plant
If death seems imminent you might want to trim off the really dead parts and float the rest to see if they will revive

I agree that They are dying from the base up, I removed the rubber bands and lead before I planted. I think will cut the green parts off and either let them float or plant them again. I have taken a couple out and cut them off and moved them into my other tank (see pic), and those seem to be doing ok.

The differences between the two tanks are. The planted one is , dirt, DIY co2, and fish less cycling, so high ammo, nitrites and nitrates. The other one is gravel, no dirt, already cycled and fish, no co2.

@fort - no I dont dose with excel or flourish or anything else for that matter.

Attachments

• image-394565514.jpg
    image-394565514.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 98
  • image-1477365270.jpg
    image-1477365270.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 86
My experience with bunch plants, which is admittedly limited, is that when I plant them they start TP sprout roots from the first few nodes above the substrate
These aerial roots get into the substrate and pull the lower stem horizontal so even more roots can take hold
At the same time this is going on the portion of the stem that was in the substrate rots off and the plant is left floating in the water column but anchored to the substrate by these aerial roots
Some of the plants I float get roots all up and down their stems
And some of them can't figure where up is any more and branch in crazy directions, these I break off to make new plants

Back
Top Bottom