Melting questions: dwarf sag and vals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vmax911

Aquarium Advice Activist
I recently removed some dwarf sag due to an algae problem. I used a hydrogen peroxide dip for these and put them back in the tank. The next day I got some Flourish excel, and started dosing the tank (very lightly, 2mL a day). Some of the dwarf sag has gone transparent and melted away. Anyone else had this happen? Should I pull the roots out and toss the plant, or will it grow new leaves?

Also, the reason for the light excel dosing is because I have some vals in the tank. They have not melted, but some do have a copperish tint to parts of the leaves. Is this a precursor to melting?

How concentrated was the H2O2?

As for the Vals, mine developed circular transparent spots as it started to melt due to Excel.

rkilling1 said:
How concentrated was the H2O2?

It was pretty concentrated. I did this while I was... umm... rather displeased with my BBA problem (to put it nicely). I stuffed a bunch of dwarf sag in a plastic cup with tank water, then poured in some H2O2. Probably a 4:1 ratio of water to H2O2.

rkilling1 said:
As for the Vals, mine developed circular transparent spots as it started to melt due to Excel.

I'll look for any holes developing. Upon closer inspection, I few leaves on some other types of plants have a bit of a rust color to them is well. Is there a rust colored algae?

BTW, rkilling1, what concentration of excel were you dosing when your vals began to melt, and how long did it take for the melting to show up?

Vmax911 said:
Is there a rust colored algae?

BTW, rkilling1, what concentration of excel were you dosing when your vals began to melt, and how long did it take for the melting to show up?

Diatoms are brownish colored. My java ferns developed the same kinda brown spots that I believe you are talking about.

As for Excel. I was dosing at the initial dose (3x the normal dose) for a week and the vals started looking bad around the 3rd day.

A 4 to 1 ratio should have been fine for H2O2, but some plants are more sensitive then others, so this may be the case for the dwarf sag. Also the time in H2O2 determines how effective the treatment is aswell. ie maybe you soaked it for too long.

Back
Top Bottom