Metricide dilution question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Karay

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've received some metricide plus 30 and would like to begin using. What I need to know is how much to dilute it with distilled water to give it the same dilution as Excel. The glutaraldehyde percentage is 3.4 %. I believe a little over double of excel at 1.5%. Should I do 50% water and 50% metricide? ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1412122696.081060.jpg

Cheers, Ray

You got it. 50/50 spot on. Make sure to throw away the activator though

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks. I knew about the activator but wasn't too sure about the amount of dilution and if it needs to be very precise. What is the amount that I need to dose the tank?

Cheers, Ray

Thanks. I knew about the activator but wasn't too sure about the amount of dilution and if it needs to be very precise. What is the amount that I need to dose the tank?

Cheers, Ray

That varies between different people. Most go between 2ml -1ml per gallon of excel strength

I dose personally 1ml of excel per 2gallons. So in my 20gallon i dose 10ml daily

According to Seachem's recommended dose it 5ml per 10gal (what you're dosing) for first dose after major WC and then 5ml per 50gal everyday after which. Since it's going into a tank with vals I'm think I should start slow and follow excels recommended dose. Don't want lose my vals

Cheers, Ray

You can dose the metricide straight up, lots of varying info. On dosing out there. Seachem is very cautious for obvious reasons. You can dose the straight at .5ml/gal for high light needs. What's your current setup?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Lol I have 4 highlight tanks going and a low light setup and a fluval chi with a DIY led that I speculate it's putting out medium light. 3 of the high light tanks have pressurized co2. 2 of those seem to be doing very well with great growth and oxygen forming on the plants. The 50gal is the one I'm struggling with. When I turn up the co2 the drop checker goes into the green but the fish go to the surface gasping for air. So I thought to supplement that tank with glut. Also am starting glut in the chi.

Sent from my iPad

Before you put this in your tank, Metricide 30 contains surfactants (soap). This will likely be detrimental to your tank! You need to use Metricide 14, same glut concentration but no surfactants.

Good luck!

Well that frustrating! I must admit that is the first that I have heard of it for the metricide 30. For convenience can you tell me where I can find info regarding that. Hate to throw that money out the window. Also you're not talking about the activator are you?

Cheers, Ray

Well that frustrating! I must admit that is the first that I have heard of it for the metricide 30. For convenience can you tell me where I can find info regarding that. Hate to throw that money out the window. Also you're not talking about the activator are you?

Cheers, Ray

I'm not sure that info. Is 100% accurate, I've read of mothers using the 28 day solution, you should light up google before you chuck it..
Edit - refer to future post, I believe this statement is incorrect

Last edited:
Ive never heard of this problem either but then again ive not used metricide. I do spend a lot of time reading through the forums though

I've received this back in Feb I believe but have been so busy with work that my tanks were put on hold. Anyway there's a thread where we discussed the difference between and there's no mention of surfactants in the metricide 30.

Cheers, Ray

I found the information on Metrex's site. Let's see if this works (from my phone)

Page not found | Metrex

I don't know if the activator contains the surfactants or the bottle.

I found the information on Metrex's site. Let's see if this works (from my phone)

Page not found | Metrex

I don't know if the activator contains the surfactants or the bottle.

It's usually the activator that contains the crap you don't want in the tank, we always reccomend throwing that right away;)

Ah. I just remember reading up on metricide and was told that 28 was bad because it has surfactants, 14 was pure glut and water. Figured I'd check up on 30 since I hadn't seen it.

Sorry if I caused any panic!

Ah. I just remember reading up on metricide and was told that 28 was bad because it has surfactants, 14 was pure glut and water. Figured I'd check up on 30 since I hadn't seen it.

Sorry if I caused any panic!

I just took another look, you may be right, it says it contains surfactants while with the 14 it says it does not contain surfactants? We need a smart person here.. fast!

Reading through like you said metricide 14 says no surfactants but 28 and 30 plus does. Part of my recollection is this has been discussed and it's in the activator but it would be great to have confirmation. That being said I've dosed my tanks two days in a row without any problems.

Cheers, Ray

Ray,

Keep us posted. I tried doing some digging on Metrex's website yesterday, but I didn't get anywhere with my search. Maybe we should pose this question to the company itself to get a definitive answer!

Back
Top Bottom