Metricide questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Coyne

Aquarium Advice Addict
My Metricide arrived today and Ive got a few questions.

1) I know Im not using the activator. Can I just toss it in the garbage or does it require special disposal?

2) Id like to store some of it in a smaller container (the one gallon is a tad cumbersome). Anything special I'd need to know about? Like, does the container need to be opaque to limit exposure to light or would a clear 1 liter water bottle be fine to use?

3) Its my understanding that this stuff is double the strength of Exel. Just wanted some confirmation before I start dosing.

:fish1::thanks::fish1:

1. I threw mine in the trash but not sure if that is correct.
2. Yes keep it in a opaque bottle as light will break down the metricide. I fill old seachem excell bottles and store it in that.
3. Yes it is roughly twice as strong as excell. You can either dilute it or dose it straight which is what I do.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Also, store the gallon jug of Metricide in a dark closet even though it's in an opaque container, it will keep it as strong as possible. For tank side I use an extra PPS-Pro dosing bottle painted with Black Krylon Fusion spray paint and stored under the tank in the stand cabinet. OS.

Excellent. Thanks for the quick replies. I was thinking of using a PPS-Pro dosing bottle if light wasnt going to be a factor, but reusing an Excel bottle sounds like a great idea.

The more I thought about it the more I like the idea of using a blacked out PPS dosing bottle. I was ordering some other stuff from GLA, so I threw in one of the big bottles as well. Thanks for the great idea OS.

Attachments

• Bottle.jpg
    Bottle.jpg
    249.4 KB · Views: 68
Dialysis is kicking me tail fin. Mostly don't feel like even sitting at the computer. They say I'll get more used to it after 6 to 8 months. Ha! Let's hope so. OS.

Dialysis is kicking me tail fin. Mostly don't feel like even sitting at the computer. They say I'll get more used to it after 6 to 8 months. Ha! Let's hope so. OS.

You got this man!! Think of all the horrible jokes you can read once you're back in action!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

You got this man!! Think of all the horrible jokes you can read once you're back in action!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yeah we need someone who can tell good jokes because Brookster clearly can't...

Just kidding!

Good luck, we've been confounded by algae without you (and thats not an exaggeration).

You know, I wonder if some of my algae issues could be because I'm growing less total plant mass with the high light set up. Most of the plants I'm using are pretty slow growing. AR "mini, didiplis diandra, Amania bonsai, Crypt parva and a Vesuvius sword. I'm going to add some Hygrophilia difformis and Limnophilia sassiflora and see if the increased plant mass/growth helps out compete the algae. When I had this tank as a dutch style, full of plants I never had algae issues. I'm going to add some at my next WC and plant trim and see what happens. I'll keep you guys posted. OS.

You know, I wonder if some of my algae issues could be because I'm growing less total plant mass with the high light set up. Most of the plants I'm using are pretty slow growing. AR "mini, didiplis diandra, Amania bonsai, Crypt parva and a Vesuvius sword. I'm going to add some Hygrophilia difformis and Limnophilia sassiflora and see if the increased plant mass/growth helps out compete the algae. When I had this tank as a dutch style, full of plants I never had algae issues. I'm going to add some at my next WC and plant trim and see what happens. I'll keep you guys posted. OS.

Thats an interesting idea. I don't have many plants in my tank now but they are growing rapidly and as they do algae is going down.

Keep us posted.

Back
Top Bottom