Micro sword plant question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bob112233

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi i have questions about putting micro swords in my tank. i am using pool filter sand with about 2 to 3 inches at the bottom of the tank. But two of my favorite fish are my 2 pepper corys i call em the copters because they hover along the bottom of my tank. will they like or hate the micro swords. and will the plants eat any extra fishflakes i put in or will i have to vaccum the planted area as well. the bottom of my tank is 24 X 48 how many will i need to get the a good start and let them grow over the rest of the tank. and will i have to do anything special with my fish if i have the bottom covered with plants

just wondering :)

cory's have no issues with the planted tank.
plants don't 'eat' left over food...the food breaks down into nutrients (nitrate and phosphate) and the plants consume that. So if you're over feeding, you'll still have food to vac up. Nothing special for the fish if you keep plants, but they may uproot plants from time to time.

Now, is this micro 'chain' sword? Does it look like this
Microsword.jpg

If so, my main concern is if you hae enough light. That plant requires 2watts per gallon minimum, and CO2 injection to do well.

I'll second what malkore said. Also, I have 2wpg in my tank and the microsword did not grow, but did not die either. I think they are really a high light plant and need the CO2 injection. You could look into a DIY system. There is an entire forum dedicated to that and I know there are some great threads about it.

Back
Top Bottom