Micro Sword Requirments?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

adammorrill

Aquarium Advice Freak
While I was at my lfs today I saw some micro sword that I wanted to get, but I didn't know what kind of care it needed so I just got some java ferns and swords instead. I know want to go back and get some, but I want to know if my tank could grow it. I have a 55gallon tank with a t5-ho 104wat light fixture and I dose ferts every few days. I don't use CO2 and I don't plan on ever going to CO2. So could I grow micro sword in my tank, and make a small carpet?

I don't have any personal experience but I think micro swords and othe fore ground plants do better with some type of co2. Have you considered liquid carbon like flourish excel? It's pretty easy. Just daily doses. Also. I heard foregrounds need alot of root nutrients so unless you have high nutrient substrate I would look into root tabs(seachem seems to be best). Again no personal experience here but just things I've read.

I have read the same thing about most carpeting plants too. My substrate is just regular aquarium sand but for the plants that need it, I put a ball of clay by their roots.

If that seems to be working then I don't see why not. I guess there's not too much worry for nutrients. But I do suggest the liquid carbon because even if you don't want to go pressurized or DIY, some source of carbon is probably going to be important in getting good growth.

I think there might be carbon in my fertilizer. I got dry ferts and mixed them into watter bottles.

I may be wrong but I don't believe carbon is included in standard fertilizers but check to see if they have cyclogluteracetal(carbon source)

Keep in mind that liquid carbon sources are not nearly as effective as co2, and on a large tank to have any real effect, it takes a lot and can get really expensive really fast.

Under strong light and CO2, microsword still at best grows at a moderate pace. Lacking good carbon, it will only grow slower. You might have to wait a long time to get any appreciable density of growth.

Agreed. liquid carbon really isn't the same as the real thing but for a foreground plant like micro sword I think you'll do better with than without(since you mentioned you don't want to go co2).

Back
Top Bottom