Milwaukee vs AQUATEK CO2 Regulators

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dragonfisher33

Aquarium Advice Addict
hi AA. I'm doing some research on the Milwaukee solenoid co2 regulator and the AQUATEK counterpart. Can you tell me your experience with one or both regulators?

Amazon.com: Milwaukee Instruments Solenoid Valve, CO2 Regulator with Bubble Counter: Pet Supplies

New Premium Aquatek CO2 Regulator with Integrated Cool Touch Solenoid | eBay

New Aquatek CO2 Regulator Mini with Integrated Cool Touch Solenoid | eBay

I have heard that AQUATECK regulator has problem when couples with a timer regarding the pressure. something about inconsistent pressure in the valve that results in too much or too little CO2 in the water.

Also i notice that AQUATEK has the mini version of the regulator (link 3), has anyone use it and what differences are there between the regular one and the mini? (other than the mini is for paintball co2 tank)

Fill free to chime in:)

I have two of the mini ones for paintball. Both are working great for the money. Not sure about differences because I don't have a full sized regulator to compare. But overall I'm happy with it...especially for the compact design. One I've had running for over a year, no problems other than the occasional adjustment to the needle valve to get the bps I want.

i'm going to get a 5lb co2 tank instead of the paintball cylinder, just more bang for the money i suppose. entertain me if you can, if i were to get the regular aquatek solenoid and then get the paintball cylinder, i understand that i would get an adapter. but what about the other way around, if i were to get the mini version and a regular 5lb tank, is there an adapter on the market?

I have not used the aquatek, but the milwakees tend to dump when tank gets low. THey are ok if you use a ph probe/solenoid.

when you say "tend to dump", you mean more bubbles than you normally wanted to?

Milwaukee makes the pH probe you're referring to correct?

If you not looking for a full size regulator, you could look at the atomic regulator from GLA, I personally don't have experience with if, but I read good reviews when looking for a setup.

If you not looking for a full size regulator, you could look at the atomic regulator from GLA, I personally don't have experience with if, but I read good reviews when looking for a setup.

Those are really nice but the price is too steep. i did look into them before i narrowed my options though

I'm using the aquatek mini on my paint ball tank with no issues what so ever. Nice cheap refills too.

I'm using the aquatek mini on my paint ball tank with no issues what so ever. Nice cheap refills too.

hoe much.per refill? im assuming the paint ball tanks are 20~oz correct? my local beverage company does 5lb for $15

ps. my 1000th post horay!!!

hoe much.per refill? im assuming the paint ball tanks are 20~oz correct? my local beverage company does 5lb for $15

ps. my 1000th post horay!!!

Well when you take your pb tank to a paintball shop it's usually 5 bucks a fill no matter what size it is.

What I mean by dump, I mean that it will empty the contents of your co2 tank into your tank, possible gassing all of your fish into a sleep they never wake up from.

What I mean by dump, I mean that it will empty the contents of your co2 tank into your tank, possible gassing all of your fish into a sleep they never wake up from.

I usually run my tank till I have about 10 psi left and I stick a new one in. Not a big deal.

Ahh yes... it's called "end of tank dump" I believe. I think certain older regulators or single stage regulators are susceptible to this. You wouldn't have this issue with a Milwaukee or Aquatek I believe.

I've actually had that issue only in the beginning for some odd reason on one of the two mini regulators.. I found myself having to readjust the needle valve. I've been running it for over a year now, and only had that problem in the first couple weeks.. maybe it got broken in? Lol

I have the Milwaukee reg on my 5lb tank and seriously love it, its not super fancy but its solid and gets the job done really well, I have noticed a slight increase like end of tank dump but an easy adjustment at the needle valve fixes that. My 5lb tank costs $15 to fill and lasts around 2 months at 3-4bps on my 75g tank. I also have the aquatek mini PB reg on my smaller tank, it works well and I like it too but the needle valve isn't a good as the Milwaukee, the 24oz PB tank lasts about a month at around 2 bps on a 36 gallon tank and I get the filled for $4 at academy. My personal opinion based on solely my experience would be that the Milwaukee reg is well worth the extra 10-15 dollars, I feel its more accurate and the built in bubble counter is a lot easier as well. Either choice you make would be a good one though, I'm sure both would leave you satisfied, as long as you stay away from the bargain bin for your regulator they are all almost equally as good. A pro here, a con there, you know just like everything else in our hobby haha

I've actually had that issue only in the beginning for some odd reason on one of the two mini regulators.. I found myself having to readjust the needle valve. I've been running it for over a year now, and only had that problem in the first couple weeks.. maybe it got broken in? Lol

so you're saying that it was broken and so how it fixes itself after a few weeks?

Overall I'm happy with them.. just saying one of two had a minor issue (if it can even be considered an issue at all) being that the needle valve had to be readjusted to get the BPS at where I wanted it. But I don't have to do any adjustments anymore.. it just works! Can't really explain it. But I think you can go with either Milwaukee or Aquatek for comparable quality and reliability. Both are liked for the value in the grand scheme of things. Milwaukees aren't perfect either, there's been minor complaints there too (just Google it). IMO, a step up in quality from both would be a regulator from GLA. SO... the moral of the story is, you get what you pay for.

looks like regardless of which one i pick, my plants will love the added co2. does anyone here use their regulators in large aquariums (>55gal)? if so, how do you guys diffuse them? i was thinking of an inline reactor that forces the co2 into my eheim filter so the bubbles get chopped up even more into micro bubbles. i also have glass ceramic diffusers, but i doubt they will be efficient in a 65gal tank.

Back
Top Bottom