Miracle grow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Grand1011

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am dirting my 10 gallon and was wondering what to use to sift the soil. Are the larger pieces of wood in the soil good, bad, do I even have to sift?

I am dirting my 10 gallon and was wondering what to use to sift the soil. Are the larger pieces of wood in the soil good, bad, do I even have to sift?

I used a window screen mesh. Took ALONG time but worth the effort I guess. Not sure if the wood is bad or not but would like to find out

I was using a pasta drainer and it took 10 minutes to get a handful so I gave up. Might try window panel but I think that might take longer. If that fails i will pick them out by hand. Thanks.

Now my tank is already established and I have two platies in them right now. After I replace with the dirt will I be able to put them back in after a few hours or should I keep them in a sepearate tank for a few days?

Now my tank is already established and I have two platies in them right now. After I replace with the dirt will I be able to put them back in after a few hours or should I keep them in a sepearate tank for a few days?

You can but it is best to check your parameters first to make sure it's safe. I would give it a few days up to a week or so fishless because the dirt can leach tannins that can be harmful to the fish. If you have an established filter to run on the tank it would shorten that time drastically.

It's all done and now I'm wondering if 2 13watt compact flourecents at 3000k will be good for the tank? 10 gallons

Attachments

• image-430261240.jpg
    image-430261240.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 60
So do you think 2 13 watt spiral flourecents at 6500k is too low of light for 10 gallon considering the wpg rule is less accurate for small tanks? I plan on using flourish excel instead of DIY co2, and nutrients with some baby tears, swords, Elodeas, water sprites and rotala magenta.

So do you think 2 13 watt spiral flourecents at 6500k is too low of light for 10 gallon considering the wpg rule is less accurate for small tanks? I plan on using flourish excel instead of DIY co2, and nutrients with some baby tears, swords, Elodeas, water sprites and rotala magenta.

I think you should be fine but I would want to wait to confirm with someone who has more experience such as river cats.

What type of reflectors do you have for the spiral flourecents? A good reflector with those on a 10 gallon should be fine. If not bump up the wattage next time u pick up some bulbs. I got 1 13 watt cfl bulb for 1/2 of my 10 gallon that has plants and they are growing slow but growing. Gonna grab a 23 watt next time im at Wally World lol

Crappy ones that came with the original hood. Although the tank is 10 gallons, the dirt and gravel are almost 3 inches high so I'd say there is about 8 gallons of swimming room. I am thinking now about using a DIY co2 with a small airstone which I think will have no effect but I'm gonna try it. I think I'm gonna get 2 20watt spiral cfl bulbs at 6500k and see how that goes. I also have a uv sterilizer and that should keep the algea at a minimum.

That won't be enough light for Rotala Magenta IMO and "might" be able to grow regular baby tears (Hemianthus micranthemoides). IMO you would be better going with crypts, bacopa australis, narrowleaf green temple (Hydro Corymbosa 'Siamensis'), and other similar plants.

A UV sterilizer won't keep algae at bay. Only algae or algae spores that pass through the uv light are killed which is why it is used for cleaning algae blooms (green water). Normally seen algae such as diatoms, green dust algae, green spot algae, hair, thread and black beard algae, along with all other types of algae are in no way effected by running a UV.

I think you'll be ok with the cfls , in fact you are likely to end up with a too much light situation.

As mentioned, the uv sterilizer may help with freefloating algae spores but I wouldn't depend on it as a substitute for balancing out light/nutrients.

Back
Top Bottom